Chapter 5

Moon stared at the toys you'd let him keep in his hand as well as the tuna he had taken from right under your nose feeling both proud that he had been able to steal them from you and annoyed that it had been so easy and that you had laughed afterwards. God, you were so stupid! It had been way too easy to grab these things without you noticing, but honestly, what did he expect from you? For you to actually notice? You were too trusting for that, always way too trusting of him...
    It just kept baffling him how you never seemed truly afraid of him. No matter what he did or how he came across, he never really sensed any fear from you. Rather, he always felt awe and wonder. Granted, he should've known better than to sit so close to you, he's seen how you responded to Sun being close to you, it was obvious you were happiest when one of them came near you. He really shouldn't have done that.
    That being said it had been shockingly nice lying next to you. It had been unnervingly relaxing to just lay by your side as you read under the stars, watching as your face subtly shifted in expression as you read your stories, one moment smiling widely before cringing or seeming close to tears the next. It was...fascinating. You were fascinating.   
    His eyes widened in shock as he registered that last thought of his. What the heck?! You weren't fascinating! You were just another dumb human who barely seemed to know safety from danger! He angrily started biting on the ring he had taken from you and felt another wave of frustration at himself for thinking that about you. I mean look at how much he took from you! How stupid were you to not notice he had taken all of the tuna when he had?! And instead of getting mad you just laughed? Who does that?! It's not normal, not normal at all.
    No, normal was the last word he'd use to describe you...You were anything but with your fearless excitement and curious nature. If you kept going as you did, there was no way you'd survive out there on your own, you needed to toughen up!
    He caught himself and snarled again before biting harshly into a tuna. What was he thinking?! Why did his thoughts always seem to change when it came to you? He didn't care about you! Never would and never will! All he cared about were the stories and tuna you brought, for all he cared you could just keel over and die!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    You yawned tiredly as you went scouring through the library. You had slept for nearly another whole day last night, but you couldn't sleep in more today. After all, it's already been a little over a week since you'd started working here, which meant you only had so much time left before you had to finish your strange task.
    Because you've been here for as long as you have and have spent time with both Sun and Moon a fair amount you decided to try caring for them both at the same time around sunset. Ideally, you would've continued seeing Sun and Moon separately for a little while longer, but after what had happened with Sun you didn't want to freak him out anymore as you were pretty sure anxiety was the cause of his lack of sleep and eating. Though you weren't sure what made him so anxious that he ignored his natural clock and his food, you think it might have something to do with you, though you weren't sure what you were doing that could warrant such behavior from the boy. So maybe if you spent time with them both, you could avoid extra stress for Sun.
    Hence, why you're here in the library. Now that you knew Moon liked stories, you were going to make sure to find out what he liked, so you grabbed a little bit of everything save articles on Mer biology. You doubted he wanted a Biology class on his own species when you were there. But you made sure to pack extra legends and myths as he seemed to really like them last time. You giggled as you remembered the look in his eyes as you read the story to him, he had just been so cute! Sun had also been really cute when he got all indignant at Moon too. They were both just too cute-

"Ah!" You yelped as you bumped into someone and staggered back a few paces. Thankfully you were able to catch yourself before you fell or dropped the books, but it was still a ridiculously close call.