Chapter 8

When Sun awoke the next day he could immediately tell that something was different. What it was he couldn't say, but something was different. He tried to ignore the feeling at first as he wanted to sleep some more before the sun rose entirely, but when he heard someone speak a moment later he realized that that someone wasn't his brother. Confused yet wary he poked his head out of the sand and looked around, finding one of the few doors on the side of his enclosure open and you standing in front of it with his brother curled up next to the door, talking to him despite him obviously ignoring you. You must've felt him staring as you turned toward him with a huge smile, causing his heart to flutter.

"Oh! Good morning Sun!" You said as you waved at him, prompting him to shoot out of the sand towards you.

"Sunshine!" He cheered as he scooped you up into a big hug with stars in his eyes, feeling your laugh vibrate against his chest as he did so. "Good morning, morning, morning! How are you?"

"Good!" You said before giggling as he started licking your face, feeling too warm and fuzzy from your smile to not give you an overly affectionate morning.

"Well, that's good to hear!" He said happily before realizing something and gently putting you back down on your feet with a cock of his head. "Though, I have to ask, why are you here so early? I expected to see you far later today as per usual."

"Oh right! I completely forgot that you didn't know!" You said as you gently slapped the side of your head before giving him a big, but nervous smile. "My boss is relocating me here until my trial period is over after which it will be decided if I'm either allowed to stay or if I should go. For now, I'm your new live-in caretaker available 24/7 in that little room over there." You said whilst giving him the 'jazz hands' as he thinks you humans called it before pointing to the metal door Sun had seen earlier when he first woke up. "Wanna come in and check it out? It's not quite home yet, but Moon and I have been working on it all night after I told him about it!"

"Moon knew?!" Sun squawked and you giggled, causing his heart to warm slightly before shaking his head wildly. Focus Sun! Your brother hid something big from you! "Why didn't he tell me?"

"Yeah, he did, but he probably didn't tell you because you were already asleep by then." You explained as you started leading the way to your room and he nodded before glaring at his brother's sleeping form. Of all the things to forget to mention last night after waking him up- "Welcome to my new home!"
    Sun quickly stopped glaring at your proud announcement as he carefully ducked under the door before his eyes widened in excitement at the sight in front of him. The room was still pretty barren given you had only just moved in, but it already smelled just like you, though it was still faint. In fact, your scent was incredibly faint on everything save for those strange items you wore over your skin, confusing him.

"It looks lovely Sunshine, but I can barely smell your scent in here. Aren't any of these things yours?" He asked and you cocked your head at him in confusion before snapping your fingers with a triumphant grin on your face.

"Ooh, you're asking why none of this seems close to me, right? Because you guys usually identify things through scent, that makes sense. Well, most of it's new actually, just got it last night. When I got home yesterday after our sleepover my place had been completely trashed by Clide and most of my things in it. The only things that are still usable are a few clothes and this." You said before taking the pearl he had given you ages ago out of your pocket and holding it up to him, making him smile widely.

"You still have it?!" He nearly screeched out of excitement as he gently took it from you before going back outside and holding it up to the sunlight, watching it gleefully as it shone in different shades of gold and orange.