The Burn

Flames. They consume everyone and everything they see. I saw the house burn down followed by the farm, the granary and finally the place where I had painted numerous memories.

It glowed. A brilliant red. People were screaming, trying to save anything that was possible but it was too late. Great losses incurred that night, not only to the people of my village but the entire country.

I tried. I really did. But fighting those horrid humans was truly not possible. My uncle always said i was a weak child. Our town practiced agriculture. Tall people with broad shoulders and tanned skin worked day and night in the fields. Yet here I was with a plump body and arms that only knew how to paint.

The next morning as the smoke thinned all that was left was ashes. Golden fields and bright faces were transformed into soot and frowns. I stood on the black ground for many minutes . I remember my uncle dragging me towards an open grounds where a crowd had already gathered. They were talking about how to regain normality in the village. I knew it was far to difficult to do it on our own and so did the people. An audience was necessary. An audience with the authorites.

Soon I was in a bullock cart along with my uncle and a few townspeople. Sun was soon setting when we reached the district authorities where we found out that not only us but the entire agricultural block of the dynasty had been looted and destroyed and that receiving help at the earliest was truly difficult since there were men belonging to villages with worse conditions .

Condolences were given and worries were shared. And soon we were on the return journey the very same night. Far away , deep within the woods a voice called. It was an animal's voice. An injured one. I could hear the plead. The hurt. It reminded me of the villager's cries during the crisis we faced. I was denied when I asked if we follow the voice. Help the one in need. Rather they claimed they did not hear the voice. But I persisted. We got down and travelled in the woods a few steps when we found him. A stag. There was blood and gashes everywhere. I tore a piece of the rag I had and covered a deep cut. It was not sufficient. After awhile when other people got down, they helped the animal regain consciousness. We decided to take shelter at the same place that night. Tents were set up and fire was lit.

Fire. It was traumatic.

I went and sat down next to the stag. What was it doing here, this was not a place where they habituated. Who could possibly injure such a magnificent creature. Question squirmed and filled my mind. Instead I paid heed to sleeping. When I woke up next morning, the rags were on the ground and the stag was gone. It was almost as if its presence itself was fictitious. It made me wonder whether yesterday night was just a dream. Had I really been hearing voices?

Upon asking the people of the disappearance. Most of them including my uncle stayed quiet. Only one spoke quietly beside me. The village healer claimed it was magic. That it was practiced in the northern areas of the country. She whispered, " I saw it. It was not just some animal. It was godly."

Quietly we returned to the village. Soon there were feuds in the village relating to food and taxes. It was inevitable for people to find aid. Soon, Agricultural block came together and found a solution. A trip to the capital. An audience with the ministers.

While helping my uncle pack the necessities, he asked me to accompany him to which I gladly agreed. There was nothing I had that was left in the village.
The journey starts now.

Author's note:
Hello. I hope you enjoyed the first part and will stay till the very end. I can't wait to meet you in the next chapter.