Guilt

Foolish. I was very foolish not to recognize him during our encounters.
The Royal Blue aangvastram he wore , the rich sapphires embedded in a circlet crown around his temple. It was him all along. Often I reminisce this and laugh at myself.

For, I would recognize him by shadow alone. By the sound of gold circlets adoring his ears. By the wisp of air that had surrounded him before.

The days flew by, almost too swiftly. The studies were overbearing. I felt like I was being crushed yet it was just the start. Too much paper. Ink stains all over my vastra. Dark globes around my eyes. Among the numerous subject, architectural drawing and design was bearable. History was quite interesting and field study was entertaining as they took us around the city. Urban planning was bearable. Rest all flew over my head. I was barely hanging in there.

I joined a study group. The seniors taught us a few things. That was the only way I was keeping up. Aarya forced me to join a debate club. They talked about the betterment of infrastructure around the country. The planning, analysis and diagrams were made. I usually stood behind. Being invisible. Listened and understood.

This was advantageous. I knew I would surely benefit from these academically enhancing rendezvous of mine. The only con being running low on sleep. I had started sleeping at unusual times and my roomate woke me up at the crack of dawn to run mindlessly around the campus. Something about managing my emotional and physical health. It seems none of my antics work on her. I have pretended to be sick, cried, physically assault her. Nothing works.

This resulted in me dozing off in classes which had in turn got me kicked out of lectures and punished, not once but several times.

Beside, Aarya's plan of making friends or atleast having acquaintances had failed miserably. For which I am held accountable. Within the last fortnight, for several times, I had tripped over thin air, crashed into solid walls, clashed the utensils in the canteen, arrived late and a lot more. This had made me a laughingstock of the ton. My clumsiness had resulted in ridiculous rumours of me touching anything, resulted in total destruction.

Just rumours.

Hurt. It just deepened.

Nonetheless, Aarya had managed quite excellently. She was doing well in classes as well as sports. She invited me to a local mala-yuddha competition held in the city. There were men and women  twice her physique, yet she had showcased excellent skills. I cheered as she went on to receive prizes she had won rightfully. Not only had she made many friends, but was also quite popular around the campus.

Whilst I continue to remain in this prolonged introversion of mine. The last distinct loud conversation I had was with the prince, which had resulted in quite a bit of embarrassment.

To a greater extent, yes, it was most definitely my fault, yet in the fit of moment I did not know what took over me. He is the crown price and in no way am I allowed to converse with him in such an impolite manner. Also I prefer for my head to remain intact, thank you very much, for he could order an execution in blink of an eye.

I had to apologize and clear out a lot of understandings.

Misunderstandings.

This interaction and the one long before it. Every single meeting with him had ended in a huge catastrophe.

I cannot afford to make these mistakes yet again. To make a living or atleast survive in this kingdom, I have to be on good terms.

So I probed around for the right moment. Waited in the hallways. Lingered in the canteen. Pondered all around the campus. The irony was, I could see him all the time yet I could not speak to him. He was never alone. Never sullen nor aloof. Instead he smiled at everyone be saw in the hallway, ranging from students to professors, even workers. A golden trail was left behind ever time he passed. Wherever he went, the masses seemed to follow him. As if he was attracting them. Students of various departments always surrounding, trying desperately to strike a conversation. Yet he replied patiently. He was kind. In way that makes him exceptional in this unruly world. A glint in his eyes from the reflecting sunlight illuminating his golden---