8.5

We stood in her room, beside her bed, staring down at her body. Her chest rose and fell, the blanket moving with her. Baria was paler than before, her hair turning white. If no one knew who she was, she would be mistaken for a Kaijan.

"She's alive," Rooke declared, throwing his hands together. "Thank the Guardian for that." There was relief on his face.

"Speaking of it," Hona answered. "Has it been found?"

He shook his head, drawing his arms to his side. "My scouts have gone everywhere but to Kaija."

"It wouldn't be there," he answered.

From the display of the innocent man's death, the Guardian would have killed Kaijans.

"I wouldn't imagine it would betray Baria after these generations."

"Is she ill because of its disappearance?"

Baria had changed since Rooke told her of the disappearance. She was still ruthless but her manner had changed. Maybe she was harboring illness this entire time but from what Qia said, Baria was immortal. It was odd for her to fall sick when she had lived all these years.

"It's not certain," Rooke answered with a sigh. "But she may very well be."

Qia stepped away from the bed. Her face was devoid of color, draining like Baria's. "I don't have any more Santrom leaves, but I am using healer magic to help her. She isn't facing anything fatal. She just fainted it seems. Perhaps it is nerves."

"I see."

It couldn't be. I saw the blood spilling from the corner of her lips. It seemed Baria had died and come back. Though I had thought that I was bleeding when I was not. Maybe it was in my head once more.

"We will have to have the wedding on another day."

"No," Baria groaned from the bed. We were all stunned to hear her voice.

Qia looked at us then to Baria. "You are sick," she spat. "You must stay in bed."

"I've never been sick once in my immortal life," she muttered, breathing between each word. "Unless...."

We all leaned in. Her eyes flickered open and drew to me. She had been planning my death and I wondered if this was the plan in motion.

"The Kaijan girl," she whispered.

Jonga's eyes traveled to me. There was animosity and the thrill of a kill in them.

"I was fine until... she entered my kingdom."

Jonga stepped forward, lacing his hands around my arm. My heart pounded as my scars burned. I couldn't be in his hold again. This couldn't be happening. I dreaded the future if there was one. I was right along Baria was out to get me.

"We don't know that," Qia hissed, stepping toward him. "Let her go."

"Not until I know what she's done to our queen," Jonga spat.

"Release her!" Hona roared. "Now!"

Jonga smiled. "You aren't the king yet, Hona. You have no hold over me. I only follow orders from Baria."

Jonga wasn't going to let me go. No one could stop him. I was in the cruel man's grasp once again.

"She is sick!" he protested. "She has no-"

"Find out who she really is," Baria wheezed, interrupting him. She sat up, her voice raspy. "Torture the Kaijan girl until she crumbles!" Her voice shook as she fell back against the pillows. She breathed heavily and Rooke rushed forward, taking her hand.

Jonga pushed me forward and I almost collapsed to the ground, tripping over my feet. "You heard her."

I hung my head low, feeling it was hopeless to fight. I marched forward, glad his hold was not on me. Though I knew the worst was yet to come.

Qia blocked our path with her body and arms wide. "I will not let you hurt her again."

Baria's voice sounded from behind us. "Anyone who stands against me will receive death."

Hona placed a hand on Qia's shoulder and pulled her back. They exchanged a look of understanding and regret. Jonga pushed me out of the chambers and into the hall, away from the people who stood with me.

As we walked no one followed. I didn't blame them.

Death was to come to those who helped the Kaijan girl.

I was the enemy again. Not just to Baria, but to the people I thought saw me as an ally.