4

Screams seared through my skull like a brand on flesh. My pulse raced as my veins altered violet, glowing under my skin. They streamed up my arm like a river, lining my collar until crawling against my neck. I tried to open my mouth but could not. My lips were shut. I was lost to an itch, and made its servant. It moved throughout my entire body, changing me from within.

Darkness greeted me when my eyes opened. Memories of what Baria stated flooded back, the dream disappearing. "Thank your hero, girl, because of Hona you now are a prisoner of Udan until I am given testimony of your innocence."

I was now a prisoner of Udan, sent to serve until my innocence was proven. I wasn't certain how it would ever be. I imagined I would never make it back to the river again.

Sighing, I hugged my legs to my chest. The tears overwhelmed me, burning my cheeks. I cried for the lost memory of what used to be myself.

I sniffled, silencing the tears. Looking around, I assumed I was in the tower again, but now saw I was elsewhere, much dimmer and damp. My eyes adjusted with the help of the small lanterns in the corner nearing stone steps leading upward.

In the small room, green tinted bottles stood in the corners and large crates were scattered between my cot and the opposite wall. There was a smell I couldn't place but it reminded me of wet mold.

I leaned my back into the wall, and stretched my legs, the pain in my calf twanged once more. A pair of green eyes caught my attention. The owner of them moved from beyond the crates, drawing into my vision.

My heart pounded. I hoped there wasn't more danger to come. I wasn't sure how much I could handle.

Shifting out of the darkness was a beautiful woman with wide hips and a full chest, hugging her body was a black straight dress. Her complexion appeared darker in the dim light, almost honey-colored or tawny. She strode forward with curiosity in her vibrant eyes.

"Hello," she whispered in a soft voice, using her native tongue. "I did not mean to scare you."

"Hello." I was at ease by her voice.

"You can understand me," the woman said, shocked, holding onto one of her two roped braids hanging to her midriff. "May I sit?"

I nodded.

"I know you must have been through a lot," she started. "When Hona brought you here, he revealed the horrors you have suffered."

"You know Hona?"

"Of course," she said with a smile. "He saved me like he has saved you."

The woman held her hands into her lap, her long fingers clenching. I could see the pain in her body as her shoulders tensed. She jolted, noticing I was staring.

"I am so sorry!" she exclaimed, shifting away. "I don't mean to get so emotional. I shouldn't have bared my soul." Her sullen voice fell.

I placed a hand on hers. Her skin was warm against mine. She stared at me, her eyes glazing over. "Don't apologize for feeling," I declared. "Never apologize for having emotion. It is the only thing that reminds us we are human."

I released her hand.

She nodded, and though it was hard to see in the light of the room, the woman blushed. "Thank you."

Silence engulfed the room, making it smaller than it was. I didn't know what to say. She seemed kind, but yet, the woman was still a mystery. I didn't know if she would be cruel like Jonga or kind like Hona. But the quiet between us was worse than the unknown of if she was a danger or not.