9.5

I approached the dining room doors. I wasn't sure what Baria wanted with me since she kept me imprisoned. Perhaps she wanted to congratulate me on not dying once more. I pushed aside my thoughts and opened the door.

The woman sitting at the end of the long table was not the same one I met before. Her honey hair grayed, pale skin dulling as it wrinkled. The only thing familiar about Baria was she was wearing white. Though with her decrepit appearance, the dress looked like it didn't belong to her anymore. She was old and frail. No longer powerful.

A platter was set before her but her plate remained empty. She waved a shaky hand. "Come in," she said, her voice fading as she coughed. "Join my side."

I walked forward, sweat on my brow. The air was heavy and cold. Like my skin had been these past few days.

"Help yourself," she said with a smile full of yellowed and rotting teeth. She waved a wrinkled hand over the platter. "Take part in this feast." Her voice no longer held power, it was a broken whisper.

Baria acted as if she had not imprisoned me.

"Why?" I asked, walking around the table toward her.

"I feel I need to speak to you," she whispered. "And it would be best to do things this way."

"I don't understand."

Baria's laugh was forced and fake. "You will know why you were here today in time."

I took a seat next to her. The back of it was hard against my spine. Even though I was glad to rest on something other than the hay bed.

"I wanted to begin with an apology," she whispered. "For my behavior, and my warrior's. We both were out of line."

My knee ached as Jonga smashed his foot downward. I winced. Even though the pain was no longer existent, it was like a phantom.

"Who?"

"Jonga," she sighed. "He has always been such a reckless soul. Ever since he entered my kingdom, he's always had a certain manner about him. I thought he would change with age but he never did. It's always been one for violence."

My teeth clacked as she rambled. "I see."

His words echoed through my mind.

Filthy Kaijan.

"His actions were out of line," she continued. "And for that, I apologize on his behalf."

"You gave the order," I grunted. "You told him to hurt me."

She picked up the glass of wine in front of her. "I did," she agreed with a nod. "And I apologize for that as well."

She apologized even though every part of my being broke. I felt like my mind was no longer my own. The itch that swarmed through my body was killing me. All she could do was give me a worthless apology.

"Your apology is empty," I spat. Nothing Baria would say would mend the wounds of all those who were hurt because of her. "It means nothing to me."

"You healed fine."

"I was maimed."

"It was unfortunate it came to those extremes, Mara, but it had to be done." This was the first time she used my appointed name and not called me 'Kaijan'. It was strange to hear, almost foreign.

My blood boiled. "Even though I was greatly injured, he pushed me toward death."

She waved a hand as she set the wine glass down. "And again, I extend my apology."