15

Mara

After dressing, Qia entered the room. She awoke me moments ago with a smile. Hona was nowhere to be seen. I wondered if he went back to his cottage.

The sound of the glass door clicked. I turned from the mirror, wearing a midnight blue, off-shoulder dress that cinched at the waist. A black trim with silver threading lined the collar and the long sleeves. The fabric was heavy and velvety, shining in the light of the window. My hair was still stained in Baria's blood; a pink lock fell in front.

She smiled, wearing a black dress similar to the one she loved. I wasn't sure if she would change her appearance anytime soon considering she hadn't in so long. "You look lovely."

I wasn't certain if this was the look of a queen or not.

"Thank you."

"I have news." Qia's smile lifted, growing wider. A flash of energy surged in her green eyes.

"What is it?"

"My mother finished the map," she declared. "She is waiting in the throne room for you to show you it."

The journey to Kaija was to happen. My hands shook as I thought of the possibilities. Not only could we find aid within Kaija's monarchs, but perhaps there would be answers pertaining to who I was once before.

I nodded, offering a smile to her. "That's wonderful," I whispered. "I will meet her as soon as possible."

I stormed through the throne doors, catching the attention of Tiroa. She was holding onto the scroll with all her might. The dress of a servant still clung to her buxom figure. The black was harsh against her tawny skin. There were dark circles under her eyes. I imagined she was exhausted from the amount of power she had exerted in making the map.

"Queen Mara," she breathed. "You frightened me."

"I apologize," I whispered. "It was not my intention."

She held out a scroll. "I did to the best of my ability," she said. "My mind wasn't able to see everything."

I took it from her. "I trust you did your best." I opened the map, stunned at what was there. Mountains, the river, trees from the north and south. I thought it was just the way to Kaija until I saw names I had never heard before like Hills of Gristle, Silian and Kair.

"It's the entire map," Tiroa pointed out. "I wanted to make sure you saw the world through my eyes."

I closed it and seized Tiroa in an embrace. "It's perfect."

Tiroa pulled away. "What are you planning to do?"

Now it was time to act. The journey to Kaija was to come. "We are going to let our people know the plan."

Tiroa placed a hand on mine. "You can do this. You hold divine power. Don't forget that."

We stepped onto the landing outside the castle doors. The flowers from the wedding were removed, leaving barren lands. The people of Udan were massed in front of the castle, awaiting my decision.

Though I had changed some things, I had not gotten around to fixing their attire. They still dressed in rags. I tried to ignore the fact and focus on their safety. When this was over, I planned to make sure they were well dressed and fed.

My heart pounded as I rehearsed in my head what I planned to say and do. I took a deep breath and stepped forward with my hands placed in front of me graciously.

"People of Udan," I started. "Please, listen and understand that we do not have much of an option."

"What does she mean?" one asked from the crowd.

"I wish to offer you a choice and discuss it."

Confusion erupted from the crowd. I felt like this wasn't the first time it had happened. In fact, they acted the same way the other day.

"What is she proposing?" one woman begged.

"You have lived in fear," I continued. "And I think that today is the time to change that."

"We will always live in fear!"

"The Rabaka will be among us!"

I tried to focus on my words and not theirs. "Yesterday we were presented with horror," I started. "But I believe this horror that has presented itself will strengthen Udan."

"We will lose our lives!"

I closed my eyes, trying to remember the importance of my speech. Opening them once more, I ignored the cries and continued. "We could fight. We could lose our lives trying to defend against an unknown force or we could grow and become one."

"What is she getting at!"

"Get to the point!"

"Our mission is to now unite with the Kaijans and defeat the Rabaka."

Silence. I expected fury, rage, cries of fear, or even jumbled murmurs, but nothing came. The only sound was my breathing as I waited for a reaction. No one stood against me or came forward. They were as still as statues. I glanced at Hona. He stared back, his honey eyes not holding any solutions.

"I will fight," a voice stirred from the crowd. A woman with short brown hair and deep brown eyes stepped forward, placing a fist on her chest. "I am a humble servant of yours, Queen Mara, now and until the end of my days. I stand with you."

The murmurs broke. Dari, the boy from the celebration, stepped forward, joining the girl. He pressed his fist to his chest like the girl. "As will I."

I felt hope spark. "Does anyone else wish to join me?" I called out. "We would be journeying to seek aid from the king of Kaija." I hoped more brave souls stepped forward.

"I will join," one man called. I remembered him. He was standing in the threshold of his house watching her and his children.

"And I," another said.

Three more voices stormed the crowd, and bodies marched to get to the line forming.

I smiled. "We will ride at sunrise," I stated. "The journey may be perilous and we do not know what awaits us beyond the wall or beyond the river, but I know opportunity and change does."

"I won't falter," a man with a balding head said, his eyes strong and gray like his voice.

"We are united!" Arawn called, stepping forward. "I have let you down my queen, but not anymore."

Arawn had asked for me to trust him, he stepped forward now, and helped. I smiled, thinking of the followers that had stepped forward. I never imagined those would follow me, especially since I was a Kaijan.

"All those willing please report to the throne room for a briefing," Qia ordered. "We must make haste if the journey is to come at sunrise."

"Before that is done," I said. "I have one more thing to add."

Qia raised a brow. I waited for this moment, to give him his moment. Hona deserved to be more than a king. If he was, he would sit on the throne, not to be seen. Hona was a man of action and action would have him.

"Hona," I said, turning to him. "Step forward."

He did so, holding his head high. His eyes shone in the light of the sun.

I lifted my hands. "As Queen of Udan and my first act as queen, I now instate Hona as acting general of the Udanian forces!"

The crowd erupted into cheers. Hona's face shifted as he stared into the crowd. He turned to me completely stunned. "Thank you," he whispered, trying to suppress the tears. He blinked them back. "Thank you, Queen Mara."

He raised a fist into the air, then pressed it to his chest. His eyes were filled with wonder and magic. I smiled with him as the crowd took in their new General.

"We are Udan, united as a clan!"