25

My fingers raked against the soil soaked in the Guardian's blood. My lip quivered as I stared at the creature's lifeless body. Its eyes were open, cold and black, void of sunlight.

I had not known the beast as a God, but all of Udan worshiped it like it was. It was a divine beast that brought to them peace of mind and protection. It was enough to make me weak to know that their faith was dead.

I reached out a hand toward the beast with tears in my eyes. I wasn't sure why I felt so sad. Perhaps it was because they were one in the same. Lost creatures that were searching for themselves. My hand fell, glowing blue against its now black fur. The beast had lost it all its color. My hand quivered, shaking as the ground vibrated underneath me.

A large tabloid towering over me. I stood, gasping as the ancient words lit up in the same blue. I walked toward the stone, the glow growing.

I couldn't understand the language written, but it was almost as if the structure was calling to me.

I reached out, and placed a hand on the tabloid. My hands vibrated, replacing the one from the ground. The words were almost speaking to me in a whisper. I leaned in, placing my head onto the stone.

With a breath, I heard it. "Danger is among you and so is a traitor," the tabloid spoke in a dark male voice. "Go back home and save your land."

My blood chilled. I pushed off the stone, rushed past the beast and through the forest. I listened, hoping I would hear Dari's voice or something to signal that he was still alive.

It couldn't be Dari that was the traitor. It had to be Lenox, perhaps, that was why he had sent me away to begin with.

I broke through the treeline. Lenox was leaning over Dari with a vial in his hand. I picked out the dagger I stashed in the lining of my dress, and threw it. I watched, hoping it would at least distract him.

With a swift glide through the air, the dagger pierced Lenox's flesh. Lenox gasped, holding onto his hand. He lifted it, showing that the dagger had driven straight through. I was not sure where the power had come from, perhaps it was the drive to save Dari. Blood seeped from the wound, spilling down his wrists. I flinched, remembering when the binds had cut into my flesh.

I stormed forward. "Don't move," I hissed with a snarl. "Or I'll kill you."

"Have you gone mad?" he asked, wincing as blood streamed down his hand to his forearm. He shook it, nursing it to his chest. "You must have because you have injured me!" He seethed his teeth, rocking back and forth.

"You are a part of the Rabaka," I hissed. "A traitor to your kind!"

His eyes widened and his rocking ceased. "How did you know?"

I was not honest. "I knew something was wrong when you sent me away."

"Wrong?" he questioned with a laugh. "Aye, I guess that is the word to use here."

I rushed forward at such a speed I didn't know I possessed. I pulled the dagger from his hand. Lenox fell to his knees with a scream, gasping for breath. I acted, driving it to his throat. A lump emerged. If Lenox swallowed, the blade would pierce him.

"Why are you doing this?"

"Please understand, Queen Mara. Please. M-my son," he whispered, trying not to move his lips as much as possible. "They have my son."

"Your son?"

"They stole him the night you announced the departure to unite with Kaija," he answered. "I was instructed to follow you and keep you from Udan. I was trying to save my son, my queen ! Please understand that I am only a traitor to save my kin!"