20.5

I couldn't remember if day passed or night came. My mind was clouded with thoughts of the black-haired woman. I helped Rooke to bury his fellow soldiers and Bent and returned back to the castle. It was all adding up, making too much sense. I was certain when they went to sleep, the black-haired woman visited, driving them mad until they killed themselves. I knew that the Rabaka was going to strike but never thought they would strike within the mind.

I sat on the stone throne with my head in my hands, my body numb to the cold. I tried to think about their defense, or a way to stop them, but what I could think of, with a sleep deprived mind, was to make sure no one slept again.

It felt impossible, I wasn't sure how I was going to protect the entirety of Udan; hundreds of men, women, and children. I wasn't sure how keeping them awake could work. I thought of every single solution and answer but none of them worked in the end.

Cursing, I sat up, smashing my fist onto the arm rest. I breathed in, my eyes waning. I peeled them open with my fingertips. I had not slept the night before and sleep was overwhelming me. It begged to bring me down into the dream with the black-haired girl. I worried, if I dreamt again, she would take my life like the others.

"I have to stay awake," I whispered more to myself than anyone else. I thought that Anai would be present in the room, but she was nowhere to be seen. "Stay awake." For the first time in a while, I wished she was by my side, no matter the sight. The images I have seen today were worse than the constant reminder of her death.

The throne doors opened. I stood, my heart racing as I feared I had fallen asleep. I pried my eyes open with my fingers to see Qia. She stared at me with concern, carrying a silver platter full of food. She approached, stopping a distance away.

"Oh Gods," she whispered. "What happened to you?"

My lip trembled. I wasn't sure what to say.

"You look like death," she continued, looking down to the floor. She sighed, composed herself and continued toward him. She held the platter high, her head higher. "You must eat. I don't think you have since Queen Mara has departed."

I looked down at the platter of food, staring at the beautiful fruits and bountiful vegetables. I raised a hand toward them, but they shifted. The black hair of the woman took over, draping over the food. I lashed back, slapping myself on the face.

"I am awake!" I called out. "I know I am!"

Qia almost dropped the platter. Instead, she set it onto the floor, and drew forward. She placed her hand on my face. "What are you talking about?"

"I am awake," I repeated.

"You are," she answered. "Have you not slept since our last conversation?"

I nodded. I didn't want to instill fear inside of Qia. "I have. Just not well."

"Something is wrong with you," she whispered.

"Nothing is."

"There is," she said, her eyes set on me. "And you need to talk to me about it."

"Why would I? Why would I give you the time of day? You mean nothing to me," I said, annoyed with the constant conversation. "After all, you are just a maid."

She stepped back with a gasp. Qia looked at me in horror, unsure of what to say. Her brows furrowed as her hand reared back and released a mighty strike to the side of my face. I felt the pain, reminding me of Mara.

"How dare you!" she called out. "You committed me to this life! You were the one who said to Baria that I should be spared and made a servant!"

"You fit the role."