22

Hona

I had been in the library for what felt like days but it had only been a few hours. The sun was falling. My eyes were burning. I had looked through forty books or more for a solution to our problem with Nasira. The words I was reading were flowing together, blurring into one page. I wanted to rest, but knew I couldn't, not until I found the answer I needed. Not one Udanian could be at peace until I had found what they needed. I didn't know how Nasira's powers worked but knew I had to give it my all to find something either about her or the magic she possessed.

I picked up another book and opened it. Scanning the words, I threw it down in defeat, and pinched the skin between my brows and sighed. If I didn't find the answer soon, it would be night and Nasira would strike again.

I took a deep breath and picked up another book. One with black leather and loose binding. The words on the front of the tome were scratched off, unable to read. The book caused familiarity to surface. I hoped this was it.

I opened the first page and read the word 'incantations' in cursive. I turned another page, reading the contents, then another, reaching the first incantation. I flipped until my fingers hurt, and paused when the word 'dreams' appeared in bold writing.

Dreams bring reality to life. They control the world as we perceive it. The one to combat a dream is to use the ancient wordings for 'nightmare and wake.'

Though it didn't make sense, I felt I had found an answer. Shifting through the page, I read the bottom sentence.

In using a person's mind, they can receive control.

I shot up with the book in hand. Nasira had mentioned something about severing the bond between Anai and me, but what if in order to do so, she had to control my mind. It didn't seem probable at first but the more I thought about it, the more I was convinced it could work. If everyone used this same incantation then they could block Nasira from entering our dreams and thoughts.

I stormed through the library, toward the opened door, gripping the book. Stumbling over books on the floor, my hand glided against the doorframe. I looked up, meeting the large armored chest of Rooke. He looked down at me with hearty black eyes and a concerned face.

"Did you find something, boy?"

I nodded, enthused like I had found the correct answer to the issue. "I think we can use this," I stated. "There was something she said in the dream that clued in to what could be her weakness."

Rooke took the book from my hand, and looked it over, squinting as he read the tiny words. His eyes widened as he looked back. "Are you sure?"

I nodded. "I am."

"If this doesn't work, will it backfire?" he asked. "Are you positive our people will be safe?"

"I didn't see anything stating that it would," I answered. "The people of Udan should be safe if it doesn't work."

"Unless from Nasira," he grumbled, eyeing me. "And going mad from sleep depravity."

"It's a risk we need to take," I stated. "A risk I am willing to take responsibility for."

"All right, boy," he said with a sigh. "Since you are in charge, I will listen and obey. I'll gather everyone in front of the castle. Read over those words carefully in your mind. Don't repeat them aloud. You never know what you could call when it comes to spells and magic."

Once everyone was gathered in front of the castle, I stepped outside with the book in hand. At the front of the crowd, I noticed Qia and Tiroa. Qia was holding onto her mother's arm, whispering in her ear. She looked to me, then to the ground. My feelings were numb to the pain on her face. I hurt her, that I knew, but I also did not care. With a sigh, she walked over with her mother. I stepped forward, meeting the two of them.

"I need to speak with you," Tiroa hissed, her eyes solemn, almost foreboding. "You are making a mistake. A grave one that will not only affect you, but the entirety of Udan and possibly the world."

"I am not," I replied. "I am using the resources in the library. I've researched this and trust that this incantation will be the secret to saving Udan from its downfall."

"You are going to argue with a seer?" Qia ridiculed. "Normally you listen to my mother's predictions and premonitions."

"I was given the answer already," I spat out. "These books hold thousands of years of knowledge. Tiroa has sixty years worth. I have what I need. I don't need help."

Tiroa sighed, holding up a wrinkled hand, she pressed it to my forehead. I jolted, shocked when fire burned.

"What the hell!" I called out. "What did you do to me?"

"Oh dear," Tiroa said, turning to her daughter. "It seems darkness has invaded the poor boy. A dark magic lingers within him."

"Dark magic?" I repeated. "What do you mean?"

"Don't recite this incantation," she warned. "If you listened to me once, you can again. I hope you do the right thing, Hona. Udan is counting on you." Tiroa turned around with Qia's help. She walked back into the front of the crowd and waited.

I couldn't believe her. A darkness lurked within me? She must have been losing her mind. The darkness that was invading my mind was from the lack of sleep. I needed rest, but I also needed to save Udan from the power the Rabaka held. They were going to destroy them, they were already killing people from the inside.

"People of Udan," I called out, raising the book high. "I have found a solution to an issue that has afflicted our kingdom."

Murmurs weaved through the crowd. Rooke nodded, keeping his eyes on me.

"I have an incantation that will help you sleep," I continued. "You won't be subjected to horrid nightmares anymore."

Confusion erupted. No one knew what I was speaking of.

"What is going on?" a man murmured.

"What are you going to do to us!"

"What have you been hiding?"

"It's going to be all right," I promised. "Fear not, I am here to protect you from the Rabaka."

"Momma, I'm scared," Rava called atop her mother's arms. "Is Daddy going to save us?"

I gulped. "It's going to be okay," I promised again, unsure if things would be or not with Tiroa's cryptic vision.

Rooke placed his hands behind his back and encouraged me to go on with a nod of his head.

"Arei reik tial ri wes itl fin pitala!" I chanted with power in my voice.

I expected magic to flow to the ground like a striking of lightning, but there was nothing to come. I stood, dumbfounded as the crowd grew antsy.

"Where is Bent?" one asked. "I haven't seen him for days!"

"Where have all our soldiers gone?"

My stomach twisted, mind cluttering. They were buried in the ground, dead. I didn't know how to tell them the truth.

"You should be able to rest now," I called. "I hope you are all able to tonight."

Rooke stepped forward, raising his voice. "Everyone reports back to their individual homes! There is no one out after the sun goes down!"

Soldiers joustled after the jumbled citizens, helping them to their homes. Rooke walked toward me.

"I hope this works," I said.

"Gods help us if Nasira gets a hold on Udan."