Spending Christmas Together

Chapter 8

Spending Christmas Together

Snowflakes fell from the sky as winter arrived in Brighton once again. This year, Molly was excited to celebrate Christmas with not only her family, but Libby and her mom as well. After Molly and her family spent Hanukkah with Libby and her mom last year, Leah thought it would be nice to do the same for the McGees and spend the day with them. It made Molly happy that she got to spend winter break with Libby like last year.

As everyone was having a fun time together, they suddenly heard a knock on the door. Curious, Molly's parents opened the door and were shocked to see that the Chens have arrived to celebrate Christmas.

"Surprise! Merry Christmas, everyone!" Ruben cheered.

"Oh, R-Ruben! Wh-What are you doing here?" Pete stuttered, surprised by this unexpected visit.

"Sorry we came over unannounced." Ester apologized. "We just thought it would be nice if we celebrated Christmas with you."

"Oh, how wonderful!" Sharon darted her eyes over towards Scratch, who was thankfully still invisible. "Listen, now might not be the best time for you to come over. Pete hasn't made enough food for everyone."

"That's not a problem! I have brought food for my family!" Ester assured. "That and some blasters in case ghosts arrive to ruin Christmas for us!"

Before the McGees could stop their neighbors, the Chens already let themselves in. It was at that point when Molly started to panic. She just wanted to spend Christmas with her girlfriend, but now that ghost hunters were in her house, she had to make sure Scratch didn't get captured.

Frustrated, Molly pulled Ollie and June close to her and spoke to them in an angry whisper. "Ollie! June! Why didn't you tell me that your parents were coming here?!"

"Sorry. We tried to talk our parents out of it, but they wouldn't listen." June explained.

"But don't worry! June and I thought ahead! We temporarily disabled the ghost hunting devices right before we left, so Scratch should be safe as long as he stays invisible!" Ollie assured.

Hearing this helped Molly calm down a little. "Okay. I just hope that your parents don't find out about Scratch."

"They won't! I promise! Why don't we all just relax and enjoy Christmas together?" Ollie said, to which Molly nodded with a smile.

It wasn't long before Leah took notice of Ollie's parents. Since this was her first time meeting them, she decided to introduce herself.

"Hello! You must be Mr. and Mrs. Chen! I am Leah, Libby's mother!" Leah introduced.

"Oh, yes! Libby told us a lot about you!" Ruben shook Leah's hand. "It's nice to finally meet you, Leah! Please call us Ruben and Ester!"

"We are happy that Ollie and June has a wonderful friend like Libby! Libby is a nice girl and we can tell that you are a wonderful mother!" Ester complimented.

"Well, thank you, Ester! Being a single mother hasn't been easy, but it was all worth it just for Libby to be happy!" Leah turned to take a glance at her daughter, who was hanging out with her friends.

After the Chens got settled in, they sat together with the rest of their friends as everyone began to open presents. Pete and Sharon started off by giving presents to their kids. One by one, Molly and Darryl unwrapped their presents, both of them enjoying all of the gifts they got.

A few minutes went by before it seemed that all of the presents were opened. Little did everyone know that there was one more present left. Reaching under the tree, Darryl grabbed the present and handed it to June.