049. a king in love

chapter forty-nine049

chapter forty-nine
049. a king in love

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

    ARTHUR WAS not impressed.

    Merlin watched the annoyed scowl on his face as he looked over his horse's saddle; it set further at the joyful laughter that escaped Lady Catrina's lips as King Uther helped her down from her mare. He rolled his eyes when his father laughed, too. Merlin awkwardly brushed the coat of Arthur's mare, admittedly frowning at Catrina, ▬trying to figure out her plan and who she was. His gaze focused on her legs; not a single limp in her walk.

     The Prince scoffed and Merlin glanced up, running a gentle hand across the mare's side as he began to take off her saddle. "Honestly," grumbled Arthur, gesturing at his father and his new muse. "Look at them."

     Merlin arched a brow. He unhooked the mare's saddle and struggled to hold it up as it dropped into his arms. He groaned and heaved it to the side. He watched Lady Catrina and King Uther converse with light smiles and happy tones as they made their way up the stairs to the castle entrance. 

     He pursed his lips. "Do you not think it is ... odd?" began Merlin carefully. "How quickly they have become close?"

     Arthur sighed and brushed his mare's coat gently as well. He rubbed her neck, tender and soft. "There is nothing odd about that," he said to Merlin and his manservant tilted his head. The Prince pursed his lips and explained: "My father is a wealthy and powerful man, Merlin. And Lady Catrina has lost security and her wealth."

     The Prince gave his mare one last rub and went to leave, only to falter when he noticed who was returning from her morning walk to the markets with her maids at her side. His horse threw her head at his hand being on her snout for too long and he cleared his throat, quickly looking away from Odette. 

     Merlin noticed. He hesitated. He hadn't mentioned anything about it since they rescued Odette from Hengist▬since Arthur had told him all that he felt in complete secrecy that Merlin would never speak a single word of it. But he felt as if he was standing on a line between two worlds▬the world of Arthur's frustration and disappointment, and the world of Odette's distraught and guilt; words where they both were left with a heartbreak. 

     He hovered, before finally deciding to murmur: "Are ... are you all right?" 

     Arthur's eyes fixed on him, and Merlin saw a flare of frustration at the question▬he knew what Merlin meant. The Prince chewed back the words he wanted to say, deciding there was no point in shouting at his servant▬it wouldn't solve his heartache. "I will be better if you stop hovering and take this horse back to the stables," said Arthur before moving past. 

    Merlin watched him go with a small sigh. After he made sure Arthur's mare was comfortable once again in her stable, he dusted off his hands and returned to the castle.