053. the witchfinder

chapter fifty-three053

chapter fifty-three
053. the witchfinder

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

    WINTER ALWAYS hit with a cold and harsh breeze. Even when it did not snow, the skies were grey and the grass was always wet. Mud underneath their boots was always common, but when the cold's chill settled in, the land was always a swamp of mud whenever it was not raining or storming. Fires were lit within the chambers, and food was rationed. When the snow from the mountains did travel down to the woods and valleys surrounding Camelot, it was almost unbearable to step outside. Roads were blocked for travellers, the days became dark and every soul less fortunate than those with furs spent most of their days focused on surviving. An ongoing chill in one's body during winter was always a dangerous thing. A fever could lead to death. 

    Despite this, work always seemed to continue as usual for servants. No matter the rain, or the cold or even the heat. It was their priority to make sure those they served did not feel the harsh climate like the rest of them▬even if it meant prioritising their own health and survival less than anyone else. 

    However, when Odette was not running around the castle, which in a way, kept her warm enough in itself, she often found herself in the winter months huddled in the kitchen near the cooking fires. She always enjoyed playing games with the younger servants to keep their spirits high. They'd play with nuts and stones, rolling them across the ground to knock others for points. (Until, of course, the cook grew tired of them knocking the nuts always in her direction and told them to play somewhere else). 

   Winter also became a busy month for servants of the castle, in general, to prepare for the twelve days of celebration from the winter solstice through to the early days of the new year. There would be grand banquets, excessive decoration and certain traditions▬even a certain feast where nobles would dress up in outlandish costumes to drink, eat and rebel against customs. Odette's favourite, however, was the days in which peasant labour ceased and they all could celebrate, whether they be of noble blood or not. Extra food was always prepared in the kitchens and some of it was provided by wealthy merchants and charitable nobles, where it would then be distributed to the people of Camelot so they, too, could feast as the Lord required. And gifts▬Odette truly did love the gifts! (Of course, it is not about receiving gifts, but instead the act of giving to others ... but who does not love receiving gifts? No one). 

    Odette's mother always gave her a gift. Even though she was struggling and she had no money▬even though she froze so her daughter could be warm, Ivette Mason gave Odette gifts to make her smile even on the darkest of nights. 

    Even when she went through hard times, and hid her pain and her frustration from the little girl who sometimes became the cause of it, Ivette Mason sacrificed to make sure Odette never had to face a winter where she was cold and hurting.