𝘵𝘦𝘯

Poppy made her way back out with a plate of hot chocolate chip cookies and set them on the coffee table in the center of the room. "Here you go! Be careful I just got them out of the oven so they're probably still pretty hot."

My mouth watered at the sight and smell of the baked treats on the table. "Thank you Poppy! It's really nice to finally meet you." I beamed over as she took a seat on the other side of the couch I was sitting on.

She sent back a shy smile "It's nice to finally meet you too (y/n). Everyone in town has been buzzing with excitement since you got here."

The sound of Wally scoffing quietly caught our attention. Quickly realizing he had let his happy go lucky facade falter, he fixed himself in the blink of an eye. After letting out a few exaggerated fake coughs, he turned back to face Poppy with a smile "Sorry neighbor I think I may be coming down with something."

I let out a quiet, ironic laugh as my eyebrows furrowed. Inside, my mind was still racing trying to figure out what had just happened. I mean, that's the most genuine I've ever seen him act around me. We were laughing together and he didn't even scold me when I called him Wally. And yet, not even five minutes later, he's right back to taking jabs at me.

Poppy sent her friend a sympathetic smile "Oh i'm sorry to hear that dear. If there's anything I can do to help you feel better you just let me know alright?"

My heart melted at Poppy's kindness, even if Wally didn't really deserve it. There's no way she would ever kidnap someone, much less ever want to. Then again...

"Oh thank you Poppy but that's quite alright. You really are just the most!" Wally waved her off bashfully.

... If I've learned anything from Wally, it's that you should never judge a book by it's cover.

My shoulders relaxed slightly as my eyes continued examining the very floral living room. They eventually landed back on the plate of cookies sitting in the middle of the coffee table, making my stomach rumble slightly.

"Go on dear don't be shy!" She motioned to the plate with one wing.

My face flushed at the fact I had been caught basically drooling over the sight of the treats, but grabbed one nonetheless. My eyes lit up as I took a bite. The soft, warm texture melted in my mouth as the sweet, rich flavor brought me back to my mothers kitchen.

"What do you think?" Poppy moved to the edge of her seat, awaiting my rating.

I hummed as I finished chewing the dessert. "It tastes like home."

⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-..ઇଓ

Wally and I waved goodbye from Poppy's porch, who walked us out with a bright smile. "Thanks for stopping by! Come back anytime you'd like!"

"Thanks again for having us!" I called back.

"See you soon neighbor!" Wally grinned as Poppy closed the door behind us.

We began making our way back toward our houses as the sun began to set. I hadn't realized how long we stayed chatting, Poppy just has such a nice presence.

The atmosphere was calm and quiet until Wally let out a low groan. "That got us absolutely nowhere." He shoved his hands in his pockets and hung his head.

We were in there for so long, I almost forgot how he sounded when he didn't have that nice guy mask on.

"I wouldn't say that" I tilted my head in his direction "We can definitely take her off the list of suspects now."