36. Bruce is a Silly Old Goat

This is the first time I've been back to the manor since my funeral, and I'm not completely comfortable but I want to check in on Alfred. Figured I could cook dinner and try make peace with Bruce as well. I'd already started going to therapy sessions with Black Canary.

I head upstairs to Alfred's room with his dinner. Knocking, I hear a faint response from the other side, and I push the door open. Alfred lies under the covers in his pyjamas. His skins pale and there are light purple bags under his eyes.

"Miss Gita, I wasn't expecting to see you here," he says, pushing himself into a sitting position.

"Well, I thought it'd be best to check on my favourite member of this family," I say. I sit on the chair next to his bed and place the tray of food in his lap. "Besides, I brought you some real British food. Steak, potatoes and peas, seasoned with salt."

"You're too kind, Miss Gita," he says sarcastically, but I see his mouth twitch up into a smile. I just shake my head. Suddenly the air seems much heavier. Alfred's smiles is no longer gentle, but rather remorseful, almost like someone has just died. "I have lived a life; I only hope you get to live yours." I stay silent. "What is it?"

The door creaks open behind us, but I pretend not to hear it.

"For as long as I can remember, I just wanted to do what was right. Guess I still don't know how to do that." I pause. "And I thought I could save the people I love, so I made an impossible choice. There's no comfort. I chose my burden. And I have to live with the scar tissue."

"Always so dramatic. Don't worry about Bruce, he's a silly old goat, that's all," Alfred chuckles and pats my hand. "You saved all of us. This is a different world to yours, and none of us can choose where we end up. All we can do is our best. And sometimes the best we can do is start over."

I slowly retract my hand from his. "I'll let you eat now, before it gets too cold."

I stand and see Bruce waiting by the door. I nod as I walk past him.

I can see Damian's room across the hall.

I guess a little detour can't hurt before I go home.

Meme of the day