Prologue

If the man could shiver at the moment, he probably would have. It's been a long time since he last visited. Seemed like a lifetime ago. Strangely though, even if decades passed, few things changed. Yes, there were a few new buildings, some with ridiculously bright paint on them, and maybe more green in the city, making him wonder what this king's true goal was—making his kingdom strong and unmatched or making a yard out of it?

Either way, the rest looked just like many, many years ago—just as solid and just as old...

Just like him now.

The last rays of the sun disappeared under the horizon, showing that the time for their departure finally arrived. His legs itched for him to move already—to lose himself in a movement only his peers could follow.

Not today.

From this day on, his every movement was meant to be restricted by the need to keep up appearances. They were in the human lands now. Let the show begin. Even if it killed him to play this game his brother had started. Even if the people he was meant to meet in a while had no idea of any game being at play yet.

Especially one particular person.

A woman.

He wondered what would she be like... Would she cry before them and beg them not to take her? Would she scream? Would she throw a fit? If she was like any other human princess he had met in his life, she surely would have. The thought awoken a huge load of displeasure.

All his age, all of his political and military experience, and there he was... Meant to accompany a doll through an enormous distance dividing his court and these lands. And as to top out this undoubted pleasure, his brother sent his very own adviser to accompany him. Or to keep an eye on him and his movements. Whatever.

Fantastic.

Just what the Vampire Prince had always wanted.