13 │Nyamene

The reunion with an angry and hungry vampire was as pleasant as one would imagine. Neither Freya nor Qadir said any word, simply ignoring each other's presence, leaving Leander to do the talking, which didn't happen often. Twice he ordered a break, once he asked Qadir about his well-being, and after an unpleasant answer from the younger vampire, he stayed silent till the lights of Nyamene brightened their path. Freya gasped, admiring the beauty of the city from afar.

"It's even prettier up close." That was the first time Leander said something directly to her. She didn't blame him, being in his place, she would also avoid triggering Qadir's impossible performance at all costs. Reaching the city meant he would finally feed properly, which was good for his behavior's improvement, but at the same time—disastrous, meaning that some of her father's people, of her people had to become donors for his benefit. She hoped Leander knew what he was doing.

The rest of the way went smoothly, allowing them to arrive at the city when the sky was still dark and filled with stars. The city was indeed, so very pretty. Strangely for a port, it didn't smell bad. The air was strewn with the smell of the sea, yes, but for her, it appeared as pleasant as the smell of her beloved forest. She couldn't wait to see the deep waters. It would be her first time and she was impatient.

"The inn we're about to stay in is settled near the shore. If you're lucky, your room would have windows in that direction." The Prince leaned toward her. She gave him a smile filled with gratefulness. He seemed to understand her needs almost better than she did already.

"Could I go and see myself?"

He frowned. "You're not our prisoner, Princess."

She held his stare. Maybe she wasn't but she had intertwined her fate with these people. The gilded cage was a cage nevertheless.

"Of course not," she murmured, not fully convinced.

Medium-sized houses colored with many paints surrounded them, making Freya feel like they were competing in the most colorful city competition. That was good, though. It made it look full of life in the company of many lights and greenery. There was a green zone in front of every building, dividing them from the ugliness of the streets. Some got to have trees, some just shrubs but it was green and it was pretty. Freya was used to the capital looking like that but thought the cities like Nyamene—being the port cities—would look worse, ugly even. That view surprised her though. She felt proud all of a sudden because she got a hunch that was her father's doing. Leander even stated at some point something about him not getting this whole greenery idea.

Freya hadn't really thought about it earlier, but now she wondered what was her father's reason for such love for nature. It was surely not a popular course for a king to care about stuff like that. Maybe a long-time peace did that to people?

They arrived at the inn soon after. It was in front of the shore, as a matter of fact, but the shore was full of docked ships, and standing there she couldn't see the sea in their full glory. Maybe she'd be lucky and get the room on the higher floors. The building was tall enough to allow her the view.

They passed the reins to the stable boy, taking only these bags that would suit them for the change of clothes. Freya took her bag and followed Leander's firm steps—Qadir behind her. The Prince approached the front desk and exchanged a few words with the woman sitting there. She looked like talking with the vampire gave her many pleasure, shifting on her chair and leaning toward him. She even took a strand of her hair and started to curl it on her finger.

Freya watched with her mouth set straight. She didn't like the view. Bloody woman with her pretty smug face, thinking who knows what and flirting with the most handsome man she probably met in her life. Leander replied with a cute smile, making Freya wonder, which pair of eyes was she going to poke out first. That woman wasn't even that pretty.