2 │The promise

The great hall was one of a kind. People called it the most beautiful in Carda. Some sources said that a dozen architects were involved in designing it, with King Arthur the Great—the most beloved and commemorated ruler of Carda—personally overseeing it. The walls were decorated with numerous art pieces. Instead of ordinary windows, there were colorful stained ones that caused a pleasant dance of colors during the day. From the ceiling hung chandeliers so richly set with diamonds that it was difficult to look away. And there was gold, lots of gold. Because there was one thing that kingdom could not be accused of, and surely that was lack of splendor.

King Flavius sat on the throne with a deadpan face. Queen Antonia was also present but, unlike the King, her face showed more emotions. Freya knew that look very well. It was a look full of hardheadedness and determination.

No one could give her any information about what this audience was supposed to be about, but the woman's intuition told her that it couldn't be anything good. The sibling trio silently approached their parents, knowing well there was no time to ask questions. What caught Freya's attention was that only the royal family was present in the room—the only addition was her father's butler, Borgoth—a silent figure standing in front of the main door. Looking back, she could not recall a time when the royal family had held an audience without the company of a single representative of the royal council. She wondered what was so special about today's guests that they would find themselves in such circumstances.

"Let them in," King's voice came up raspy. Chief Butler immediately proceeded to carry out the order. He disappeared for a moment on the other side of the front door, only to return with two mysterious men beside him. They were both slender, quite tall, and strangely pale, as if their faces hadn't been exposed to the sun for years. Freya also had to admit that they were both exceptionally handsome, though in different ways. They both looked to be in their early thirties, but while the former was blond with shoulder-length, well-arranged hair and eyes as blue as the summer sky, the latter was the essence of darkness and mystery.

It was the second visitor that caught the young woman's attention for longer. His hair was raven black and kept shorter than his companion's. Definitely not as well arranged—tousled even. His eyes were dark and gave the impression of a barrier firmly separating his thoughts from the rest of the world. There was a stubble beard on his face, making him look even more serious. Quite unexpectedly, Freya felt a slight movement in her stomach—like someone caressed her with a feather. He was by far the most intriguing-looking man she had ever seen. She couldn't take her eyes off him. Even if the thought was something she wasn't in her life going to admit aloud, the fact was a fact.

As if feeling her gaze on him, the eyes of the mysterious newcomer crossed her path and met hers. She could see his look sliding along her whole figure—Freya was not sure if with interest or boredom. Her breathing quickened immediately, and she suddenly felt like a caged bird. Where did this feeling come from? Why did the gaze of one man, and a man she had never seen before at that, evoke such an avalanche of emotions in her? Even though she was fully clothed, at that moment she felt completely naked and at the mercy of a stranger.

Fortunately, after a moment the man's gaze went elsewhere, and Freya breathed a sigh of relief. King Flavius raised his hand slightly, signaling that his butler could begin the formal greeting.

"Welcome to the royal court. I present to you His Majesty King Flavius Sharion in the company of his family—Her Majesty Queen Antonia, and their children—Her Royal Highness Princess Eloise, His Royal Highness Crown Prince Emmett, and Lady Freya Sharion." The butler's voice was firm and clear, evidently filled with the experience gained over the years. It was customary to introduce the royal family to people visiting the royal court for the first time. Or at least that rule applied to the most important personalities—and there was no doubt that these men were somehow important. It was enough to look at them once to be sure about it. "Please introduce yourselves and explain the reason for your arrival."