22 │Hunting time

One positive thing about the all-night journey was that when one finally stopped, the hunting conditions were basically perfect. The forest, touched delicately by the first rays of the sun, was inviting for anyone good enough with a bow.

And Freya's bow skills were truly amazing.

They choose to camp near a river. The vampires found the place hidden enough under the trees that they could get some rest without any unpleasantness from the sun, and the women could use the weather for some laundry. That chore was taken by Giselle, as for Freya was to hunt something for a meat stew. She secretly hoped for Leander's cooking in action again, although she kind of had a feeling that Giselle wouldn't be subtle about potentially handing over her duties to a vampire.

Freya could lie to herself as much as she wanted, but she couldn't hide her excitement at the thought of Leander joining her hunt. The idea was initiated by the need to have an alone time with him to talk freely, but also, as embarrassing as it seemed, Freya wanted to show him her skills and to watch the man in action as well. So far, she saw nothing except some speedy movement and really good skills at rescuing the drowning damsels in distress. Besides, she learned a few things, but she never witnessed them. Finally, things were about to change.

With a tiny nod, she indicated to the vampire that she was ready to go. Without further comment, the two of them began a leisurely walk toward the wild forest. They were both dressed in black, which made it seem as if they had purposely agreed on this beforehand. As for Freya, that was certainly a fun coincidence, but it was safe to state that black was truly Leander's color. The Vampire was wearing breeches and a silk shirt that perfectly emphasized the contours of his muscles. Freya was also wearing breeches, flat shoes, a corset top doing magic for how her breasts looked, and a tight-fitted jacket. The day was expected to be quite warm by current standards, but there were already frosts at dawn, so she didn't want to risk freezing.

With a quiver on her back and beloved bow in hand, she silently accompanied Leander on a peaceful journey deep into the forest. Walking next to him somehow carried a calming aura. The feeling contradicted any instincts that she believed should prevail in such situations. Being with him was so easy, though. She didn't need to pretend. She was free to be herself—just Freya, a really good hunter.

Suddenly, the Prince stopped in mid-step, his nostrils visibly moving.

"A stag to the north, a few pheasants to the west," he stated after a moment.

Freya couldn't hide her bewilderment. That was on hell of a badass skill!

"What?" Leander caught her reaction.

"And you showing me that skill only now?!" She whisper-shouted, looking at him like he basically grew a second head.

"Ah, nothing special, make your decision. They won't wait for us," he smirked.

Freya huffed, "Nothing special... Ugh, I would have to spend half of the day only to spot them, but right, nothing special..." She bumbled under her nose. "Let's go for the pheasants. I don't know what about you, but a stag would be definitely too heavy for me. Not to mention, that it'd be pity to waste so much meat."

"You'd be surprised how strong I can be." He winked at her. "All right, let's go for the pheasants, my lady." He chuckled at the side of her sourness.

She turned with her forefinger pointed at his chest. "Don't call me that. For you, I'm Freya, told you like a hundred times already."

He rolled his eyes. "And I told you like a hundred times, that it gives me a great pleasure to tease you."

"Why?" She groaned with frustration.