Clarisse Gets A Lesson

Chiron and Percy approached me right in the middle of the best part of my book. I looked up, raising an eyebrow at Percy. It seemed as if he was trying to see what I was reading. It was an architecture book, I don't really know why he would care. "Annabeth," Chiron said. I switched my attention to Chiron. "I have a masters' archery class at noon. Would you take Percy from here?"
"Yes, sir."
"Cabin eleven," Chiron told Percy, gesturing towards the door. "Make yourself at home." I stood up and led Percy inside. Chiron didn't come inside. He was too tall in his centaur form. All the campers bowed respectively once they saw Chiron. Percy stopped in the doorway like an idiot."Well then," Chiron said. "Good luck, Percy. I'll see you at dinner." The Chiron left to the archery range. "Well?" I prompted. "Go on." He walked forward and tripped in the doorway. I facepalmed and sighed as I heard the snickers from the campers. "Percy Jackson, meet cabin eleven," I announced. "Regular or undetermined?" Another camper asked. I could tell Percy didn't know what to say as he shot me a confused look while standing up "Undetermined" I said. Everybody groaned. Luke came forward. I felt myself blushing, and I shook my head. What was I thinking? I was twelve, and he was nineteen he was seven years older than me. I told myself that I didn't like him. "Now, now," Luke started. My attention shifted back to reality. "That's what we're here for. Welcome, Percy. You can have that spot on the floor, right over there, " Luke pointed to a spot on the floor. "This is Luke," I said, trying not to blush or sound different, but I could tell I still was by the look Percy gave me. I harned my expression, trying to keep cool. "He's your counselor for now." I continued. "For now?" Percy asked. I sighed, I was down with new campers at this point. I had been here for five years, and every new camper was the same. "You're undetermined," Luke explained, a lot more patient than I was. "They don't know what cabin to put you in, so you're here. Cabin eleven takes all newcomers, all visitors. Naturally, we would. Hermes, our patron, is the god of travelers." Percy glanced over at the spot Luke had given him before shifting his attention back to me and Luke. "How long will I be here?" Percy asked. "Good question," Luke said.
"Until you're determined."
"How long will that take?" All the campers laughed, and I facepalmed. "Come on," I told Percy. "I'll show you the volleyball court,"
"I've already seen it,"
"Come on,"
I grabbed his wrist and dragged him out of the cabin. When we were a few feet away, I stopped and let go of his wrist before turning around. "You have to do better than that, Jackson." "What?" I rolled my eyes and mumbled, hoping he wouldn't hear me."I can't believe I thought you were the one." I guessed he heard me because he got mad. "What's your problem?" He asked."All I know is, I kill some bull guy -" I cut him off."Don't talk like that! You know how many kids at camp wish they'd had your chance?"
"To get killed?"
"To fight the Minotaur! What do you think we train for?" I took a deep breath to calm down. He shook his head. "Look, if the thing I fought really was the Minatour, the same one in the stories..."
"Yes."
"Then there's only one."
"Yes."
"And he died, like a gazillion years ago, right? Theseus killed him in the labyrinth. So..."
"Monsters don't die, Percy. They can be killed. But they don't die."
"Oh, thanks. That clears it up." I rolled my eyes. This was getting more difficult by the second. "Monsters don't have souls, like you and me. You can dispel them for a while, maybe even for a whole lifetime if you're lucky. But they are primal forces. Chiron calls them archetypes. Eventually, they re-form." I explained. He seemed like he was thinking. "You mean," he started. "If I killed one, accidentally with a sword -"
"The Fur -" I stopped myself, names were dangerous. "I mean, your math teacher. That's right. She's still out there. You just made her very,very mad, " I explained. He gave me a confused look. "How do you know about Mrs. Dodds?" He inquired. I tried not to laugh. "You talk in your sleep."
"So I drool and talk in my sleep great." I tried not to laugh as he rolled his eyes. Before looking back at me, "You almost called her something. A Fury? They're Hades' torturers, right?" I looked nervously at the ground."You should never call them by name, even here. We call them the Kindly Ones, if we have to speak of them at all." It thundered at what I said. I sighed. "Look, is there anything we can say without it thundering?" Percy sounded whiny, but it didn't seem like he cared. "Why do I have to stay in cabin eleven, anyway? Why is everybody so crowded together? There are plenty of empty bunks right over there." He pointed towards the first few cabins, Zeus, Hera, and Poseidon. I turned pale. We don't just choose cabins. "You don't just choose a cabin, Percy. It depends on who your parents are. Or... your parent." I stared at him, waiting for him to understand. "My mom is Sally Jackson," He said. "She works at the candy store in Grand Central Station. At least, she used to."
"I'm sorry about your mom, Percy. But that's not what I mean. I'm talking about your other parents. Your dad."
"He's dead. I never knew him." I sighed. I'd had this conversation so many times before. "Your father's not dead, Percy."
"How can you say that? You know him?"
"No, of course not."
"Then how can you say -"
"Because I know you. You wouldn't be here if you weren't one of us."
"You don't know anything about me."
"No?" I raised an eyebrow."I bet you moved around from school to school. I bet you were kicked out of a lot of them."
"How -"
"Diagnosed with dyslexia. Probably ADHD, too." I could tell Percy was trying to swallow his embarrassment at insulting my intelligence. "What does that have to do with anything?" He asked. "Taken together, it's almost a sure sign. The letters float off the page when you read, right? That's because your mind is hardwired for ancient Greek, and the ADHD you're impulsive can't sit still in the classroom. That's your battlefield reflexes. In a real fight, they keep you alive as for the attention problems that's because you see too much Percy, not too little. Your senses are better than a regular mortal's. Of course, the teachers want you medicated. Most of them are monsters. They don't want to see them for what they are."
"You sound like... you went through the same thing?"
"Most of the kids here did. If you weren't like us, you couldn't have survived the Minotaur, much less the ambrosia and nectar."
"Ambrosia and Nectar."
" The food and drink we were giving you to make you better. That stuff would have killed a normal kid. It would have turned your blood to fire in your bones to sand, and you'd be dead. Face it. You're half blood. " I could tell Percy's mind was full of questions when I heard a familiar husky voice yell, "Look at this guys! Easy bait! Who's ready to feast on some fresh fish?" I looked over at the same time as Percy. "Clarrise," I sighed. "Why don't you go polish your spear or something?"
"Sure, Miss Princess," Clarisse said. "So I can run you through with it Friday night."
"Erre es korakas!" I said angrily. It meant 'Go to the crows' when translated, but it was a much worse insult for Ares kids. "You don't stand a chance." I told her. "We'll pulverize you," Clarisse said, but her eye twitched. I knew she couldn't go through with the threat. Then she turned towards Percy. I knew what was going to happen. "Who's this little runt?"
"Percy Jackson," I said, "meet Clarisse, Daughter of Ares." Percy blinked in surprise. "Like.. the war god?" Clarisse sneered."You got a problem with that?"
"No. It explains the bad smell." Clarisse growled."We got an initiation ceremony for newbies, Prissy."
"Percy."
"Whatever. Come on, I'll show you."
"Clarisse-" I tried to say. I knew exactly what was going to happen. "Stay out of it, wise girl," Clarisse snarled. I backed down, I wanted to help Percy, but I just couldn't. Percy handed me his Minotaur horn and got ready to fight. Except Clarisse grabbed him by the neck and started dragging him towards the bathroom. Percy was kicking and punching like an idiot, but I knew Clarisse's grip was like iron. Clarisse dragged him into the girls' bathroom, and I followed, standing in the corner as I covered my eyes watching through my fingers. I was worried for Percy. All the Ares kids were laughing. "Like he's 'Big Three' material," Clarisse said as she pushed Percy towards one of the toliets. "Yeah, right. Minotaur probably fell over laughing. He was so stupid looking." Percy looked at me, and I wanted to help him, but I just couldn't, I closed my eyes and looked away. When I heard the plumbing rumble. I looked up and looked at Percy. What was going on? The next thing I knew, the water from the toilet shot out just missing Percy's head. Clarisse screamed as the water splashed her and her friends in their faces, causing them to fall to the ground. Then the other toilets exploded, dousing me as well. The showers started acting up, too, pushing Clarisse and her friends out of the bathroom, and the water shut off, leaving me soaked. I stared at Percy in shock. He was sitting in the only dry spot in the room. How did he do that? He stood up, I could tell he was shaking. I said, "How did you..." But I couldn't finish, I didn't know how to ask. "I don't know," He said. I walked outside with Percy. Clarisse and her friends were sprawled in the mud and a bunch of other campers and gathered around. She looked at Percy, clearly full of hatred. "You are dead, new boy. You are totally dead."
"You want to gargel with more toliet water again, Clarisse? You shouldn't mess with a shark when you're just a minow," Percy said. I sighed he should've just let it go. Clarisse had to be dragged back to her cabin. I stared at Percy, wondering what to think. "What?" He demanded. "What are you thinking?"
"I'm thinking," I said, "that I want you on my team for capture the flag." I smiled.