I Go On A Quest With Two Idiots

The next morning, Chiron moved Percy into cabin three. Poseidon's cabin. Most of the campers steered clear of Percy. They were afraid of him. I was just mad. Poseidon was one of the ONLY gods that Athena can't get along with! I'll never be able to help with the prophecy now. I probably won't even live that long. I still taught Percy Greek every morning, but he was irritating. How was I supposed to help him. He's the son of Poseidon. Later that day, I saw Luke slip into Percy's cabin with a mortal newspaper. I wanted to follow him, but Luke was out of the cabin before I could. What is Luke doing? He had always seemed different since his last quest, but he wouldn't hurt Percy for getting a quest, right?
"Annabeth!" A male voice called.
I turned towards it. It was Malcolm, my younger half-brother.
"Come on!" He yelled
Archery was our next activity, I guess I was thinking too long. I ran by Malcolm and walked with him to the archery range. But I couldn't help but wonder two things. Why did Luke have that newspaper, and how did he get it?
I was so distracted during archery that I couldn't make any right shots. All I could think about was the prophecy. I knew Chiron knew something was wrong, but he didn't say anything. That night, I went into my cabin, and all my siblings were already asleep. I just got into my bed. I tossed and turned for hours. What was Luke doing? Was Percy the prophecy child? I don't know! The first time, I didn't know an answer to something, and it's frustrating. Before I knew it, it was morning. I had been thinking all night. I rushed to get dressed and ran out of my cabin. I didn't even eat breakfast. I ran to Chiron, and he was with Grover, who was chewing on a Diet Coke can.
"Hello Annabeth." Chiron said
"Have you talked to Percy about the quest?" I asked
"He just went to get the quest!" Grover exclaimed.
I looked at Grover, then back at Chiron.
"If he hasn't chosen someone else, can I go?" I pleaded
"Annabeth -"
"Please, Chiron! I've wanted this for so long! I promise I'll make you proud!"
Chiron sighed. He had given in.
"If he accepts you, yes." Chiron said.
I immediately hugged him. "Thank you, Chiron!" I smiled and pulled away, putting my invisibility cap on.
Percy came out of the Big House.
"Well?" Chiron asked him. He slumped into a chair at the pinochle table. "She said I would retrieve what was stolen." Grover sat forward, chewing excitedly on the remains of a Diet Coke can.
"That's great!"
"What did the Oracle say exactly?" Chiron pressed. "This is important."
Percy looked uneasy. "She . .. she said I would go west and face a god who had turned. I would retrieve what was stolen and see it safely returned."
"I knew it," Grover said.                                Chiron didn't look satisfied. "Anything else?"
Percy was definitely hiding sonething, but what? What did the Oracle tell him that he didn't want to tell Chiron?
"No," He said.
"That's about it." He studied Percys face.
"Very well, Percy. But know this: the Oracle's words often have double meanings. Don't dwell on them too much. The truth is not always clear until events come to pass."
"Okay," he said nervously. "So where do I go? Who's this god in the west?"
"Ah, think, Percy," Chiron said. "If Zeus and Poseidon weaken each other in a war, who stands to gain?"
"Somebody else who wants to take over?" He guessed.
"Yes, quite. Someone who harbors a grudge who has been unhappy with his lot since the world was divided eons ago, whose kingdom would grow powerful with the deaths of millions. Someone who hates his brothers for forcing him into an oath to have no more children, an oath that both of them have now broken."
"Hades."
Chiron nodded. "The Lord of the Dead is the only possibility."
A scrap of aluminum dribbled out of Grover's mouth. Idiot.
"Whoa, wait. Wh-what?"
"A fury came after Percy," Chiron reminded him. "She watched the young man until she was sure of his identity, then tried to kill him. Furies obey only one lord: Hades."
"Yes, but—but Hades hates all heroes," Grover protested. "Especially if he has found out Percy is a son of Poseidon... ."
"A hellhound got into the forest," Chiron continued. "Those can only be summoned from the Fields of Punishment, and it had to be summoned by someone within the camp. Hades must have a spy here. He must suspect Poseidon will try to use Percy to clear his name. Hades would very much like to kill this young half-blood before he can take on the quest."
"Great," Percy muttered. "That's two major gods who want to kill me."
"But a quest to ..." Grover swallowed. "I mean, couldn't the master bolt be in some place like Maine? Maine's very nice this time of year."
"Hades sent a minion to steal the master bolt," Chiron insisted. "He hid it in the Underworld, knowing full well that Zeus would blame Poseidon. I don't pretend to understand the Lord of the Dead's motives perfectly or why he chose this time to start a war, but one thing is certain. Percy must go to the Underworld, find the master bolt, and reveal the truth."
Grover was trembling. He'd started eating pinochle cards like potato chips. "Look, if we know it's Hades," Percy told Chiron, "why can't we just tell the other gods? Zeus or Poseidon could go down to the Underworld and bust some heads."
"Suspecting and knowing are not the same," Chiron said. "Besides, even if the other gods suspect Hades—and I imagine Poseidon does—they couldn't retrieve the bolt themselves. Gods can not cross each other's territories except by invitation. That is another ancient rule. Heroes, on the other hand, have certain privileges. They can go anywhere, challenge anyone, as long as they're bold enough and strong enough to do it. No god can be held responsible for a hero's actions. Why do you think the gods always operate through humans?"
"You're saying I'm being used."
"I'm saying it's no accident Poseidon has claimed you now. It's a very risky gamble, but he's in a desperate situation. He needs you."
Percy looked both mad and confused. He had every right to be mad. Our parents always ignore us.
"You've known I was Poseidon's son all along, haven't you?" He asked.
"I had my suspicions. As I said ... I've spoken to the Oracle, too." 
"So let me get this straight," Percy said. "I'm supposed to go to the Underworld and confront the Lord of the Dead."
"Check," Chiron said.
"Find the most powerful weapon in the universe."
"Check."
"And get it back to Olympus before the summer solstice, in ten days."
"That's about right." Percy looked at Grover, who gulped down the ace of hearts.
"Did I mention that Maine is very nice this time of year?" he asked weakly. Grover was really set on going to Maine for some reason.
"You don't have to go," Percy told him. "I can't ask that of you.
"Oh ..." He shifted his hooves. "No ... it's just that satyrs and underground places ... well..." He took a deep breath, then stood, brushing the shredded cards and aluminum bits off his T-shirt.
"You saved my life, Percy. If ... if you're serious about wanting me along, I won't let you down." Percy looked like he wanted to cry. Maybe he was relieved that Grover was going with him.
"All the way, G-man." Percy turned to Chiron. "So where do we go? The Oracle just said to go west."
"The entrance to the Underworld is always in the west. It moves from age to age, just like Olympus. Right now, of course, it's in America."
"Where?"
Chiron looked surprised, and so was I. I knew Percy was stupid, but seriously? He didn't think of where the Underworld might be? "I thought that would be obvious enough. The entrance to the Underworld is in Los Angeles."
"Oh," he said. "Naturally. So we just get on a plane—"
"No!" Grover shrieked. "Percy, what are you thinking? Have you ever been on a plane in your life?" He shook his head. He was clearly embarrassed.
"Percy, think," Chiron said. "You are the son of the Sea God. Your father's bitterest rival is Zeus, Lord of the Sky. Your mother knew better than to trust you in an airplane. You would be in Zeus's domain. You would never come down again alive." Overhead, lightning crackled. Thunder boomed. "Okay," He said, determined not to look at the storm. "So, I'll travel overland."
"That's right," Chiron said. "Two companions may accompany you. Grover is one. The other has already volunteered, if you will accept her help."
"Gee," He said, acting surprised. "Who else would be stupid enough to volunteer for a quest like this?"
I took off my Yankees cap. He did not just call me stupid, I stuffed my Yankees cap into my back pocket and crossed my arms.
"I've been waiting a long time for a quest, seaweed brain," I said. "Athena is no fan of Poseidon, but if you're going to save the world, I'm the best person to keep you from messing up."
"If you do say so yourself," He said. "I suppose you have a plan, wise girl?" I felt my cheeks heat up. Not with blush but with anger.
"Do you want my help or not?" I glared at him. He didn't seem very confident with a no. He needed my help.
"A trio," Percy said. "That'll work."
"Excellent," Chiron said. "This afternoon, we can take you as far as the bus terminal in Manhattan. After that, you are on your own."
Lightning flashed. Rain poured down on the meadows that were never supposed to have violent weather. Zeus was not happy at all.
"No time to waste," Chiron said. "I think you should all get packing."