chapter one

The sky took my breath away. Purple and orange mixed with yellow and blue in just the right way. A once in a lifetime view. Once the sun disappears this perfectly painted sky will be gone forever.

I’ve watched every sunrise and sunset for the past two years, and I’ve never seen the exact same thing. I lower my eyes to my slim fingers. Scarred hands that only belong to omega members. I let the tears fall as darkness washes over me. My bare feet planted in the soil of my front yard. My cabin stood in darkness not far behind me. I could feel the breeze pull at my worn dress and loosely tied brown hair.
I’m alone and every night since my beautiful mate was killed I’ve stood here and cried. I’m surprised I haven’t died from grief or of a broken heart. Omega’s are weak, with weak wolves and break so easily, or at least that is what the other pack members say.

I still felt at peace here. With the heartbreak of losing my mate it should be impossible, and yet, I still feel the peace of the world around me filling me. The tall grass reached my waist and swayed around me.

I’m a normal omega girl who lost her normal omega mate two years ago and I am still living a strong life. I have no pups, no family, and no friends. I live alone on the hill just outside of the pack's village. I could go live in the pack house and work to earn my place, but I just can’t leave the small house my mate built for me. I am very slender and don’t look like any of the others with my pale skin and dull gray eyes. My mate would tease me saying I still look like a child.

I hunt and survive the best I can. I train with my wolf a lot and she is much stronger than I am. My human body may be weak and small, but in wolf form. I am a silver gray with muscle and sharp wit. My eyes deepen to a metallic silver. I train my human self mentally and my wolf we train in everything. Hunting, running, killing, fighting, and hiding skills. I can stalk and kill the largest of bears now and my wolf is proud.
I am an omega and that will never change. I will however refuse to die when my mate dies to protect my life. I will not let his death be in vain. So I work hard and take each challenge head on. Killing my emotions as I go.

The moon light turns the field before me a blue and gray color. The tall grass sways in the crisp breeze. I can feel my wolf stir. It’s time to run and hunt for tomorrow’s dinner. Unlike the rest of the pack I can change from as soon as the moon rises and the sun sets. They confuse me with only changing with the full moon. So I hide the fact that I can change every night from them.

I felt the hair on the back of my neck prickle and my wolf squirmed inside of me. She hated to halt the transformation like this suddenly. Someone is watching me and I can’t let my secret be known.
I looked out calmly at the dirt drive to my left. The Beta from our pack stood there. His eyes are watching me closely, like I am insane or would go insane at any moment. His tension is noticeable to me even from this distance.

I bowed my head and lowered my eyes to my feet, in respect and waited for him to move closer. His steps sounded hesitant while his body took on the look of being in command. I could feel his emotions scatter in all different directions.
His smell remained the same, his Aura felt a bit weaker, but everything else is the same. A dull reminder that I am a small worthless pack member, yet somehow I feel as though something is changing. Now that I feel ready for my nightly adventures to expand to the outer borders, something odd is starting to happen with the pack bond. It is growing weaker.

I waited silently. His steps grew stronger until he stood in front of me.

“Alpha Liam wishes to grant your request for border crossing. He also warns you to not let anything follow you back.” Beta Markus said tightly. His tight lips made him look more childish than manly but I would not be the one to tell him.

I nod my head and whisper thank you. At last the hunt for my mates killers can start. I listened to the retreating steps of the Beta and smiled to myself when he was far enough away. Why is he nervous around me? I ponder over the question as I pull my dress over my head and let my naked skin be touched by the moon.

I let my wolf free and I felt each bone melt and reform. The first time I shifted I felt as though I would burn alive from the inside out. I cried out in pain for hours until my wolf form was completed. Now as the fur sprouted from my skin and the claws grew from my nails all I can feel is the pleasure of heat and freedom flowing throughout my body.

As a wolf my body doubles in size and I am close to the size of a true alpha. None of the other wolves are as large. They also don’t train in wolf form like I do. They have once a month where I have every night. My mate knew of my secret and would ride on my back on little trips through the woods.

My fully formed wolf body successfully shook with anticipation. I shook my fur and stretched my limbs. My snout already tilted up to smell the night air. My ears twitch in every direction listening to the sounds around me. A stream 130 steps south bubbled, a rabbit bounces through the brush at its bank.

Suddenly a new sent hits my nose and I’m fully alerted. Just beyond the field in the trees an unknown creature is lurking. I quickly dart into action turning to the side intending to circle around from behind. I keep the smell within reach but stay far enough away so not to be seen. I slow my pace and crouch down almost crawling on my belly my tail straight out behind me. The hair on the back of my neck rises when the sound of voices travels to my ears.

I can’t make out what they are saying but the smell tells me they are not wolves. Humans? Are they humans? Why would humans be this far into the mountains? I lay down and wait. I hear female and male laughter. I smell the smoke from their fire and the smell of burnt meat. I’ve never hunted a human and this feeling I’m getting now tells me I won’t like it. They have no defense. They are totally unprepared for any kind of attack. I move closer and stay hidden peeking through the brush. A small fire burns and two women dance in a circle around it laughing. The two men sitting on blankets slapping their knees and singing in a language I don’t understand. Thick fur coats hang on  tree limbs and a metal box they call a car sits on the side of the  trail.

My mate told me of things like this, saying that one day we would have a car and spend our nights like this. Singing and dancing around a fire with our pups. I just laughed. Why would I want any of that when I have my mate and my wolf? We will all run together being wild and free.

My memory faded and sadness replaced it. I should have agreed with his small dream. The smiles these humans have now make me miss my mate even more. I start moving away from the humans deciding to just let them be when a deep growl from across the campsite stopped me.

The fur at my neck stood on point and my eyes found the shape of the bear before the growl ended. I flexed my paws digging my claws into the dirt. My haunches are already tightened for my next move.

The scream of the smallest woman caught the men off guard and they scrambled to get away from the bear. It stood on its hind legs and walked into the ring of light beside the car. The humans, have nowhere to go. They all rushed to the edge of the campsite in front of me. I roll my eyes. My growl tore from my throat as I made my leap into the light. I stood in front of the humans facing the bear. Teeth on full display as I let out another growl and snapped my jaws together. The bear let out a roar and swiped at the air. His lips curled as he bounced on his front paws. I call his bluff and move forward growling and snapping at him. Finally he charges and I make my move.

Fur met fur and muscles bulged. Sharp claws and teeth highlighted by the camp fire, gave a sinister glow. He swipes a clawed paw at my legs, and I quickly dodge and sink my teeth into a soft spot just below his shoulder. He let out a roar and spun around dislodging me. I snarl and quickly pounce on his back biting into his small ear His thick hide rolled and my claws dug in for balance. He tosses his head and stands on two legs once more. Both of his claws grab my sides, but he can’t add pressure. His chest is too wide to squeeze my smaller body. I let go of his ear and dropped to the ground quickly spinning to make the killing move. With his head raised the softest part is exposed and I take full advantage. I leap and my jaws close around his soft neck. I feel the air pipe under my teeth and I put all my strength into closing my jaws. I taste the metallic blood on my tongue and I shake my head to rip more of his thick hide open.

His breath is labored and he is falling over. His large body shrinks to the ground under my aggressive assault. I hold my place until I can’t feel a heart beat and his breath is completely gone. I let go of his throat and shake my fur out completely forgetting the stunned humans behind me. I turn and my eyes are connected with a female. Her large eyes show fear and I turned to the side moving away from them. We watched each other and when the small female stepped forward I darted into the woods. I don’t want anything to do with humans.

I may have saved their lives but the smiles always disappear when I am near. I ran away. I smelled the fear. I’ve stood and watched just as helpless as those humans were tonight. I have been in their shoes. I howled into the night air. I will never be that weak again. I stop at the stream and take a large drink washing the blood from my snout and mouth. This stream marks our border and I have permission to cross over. I take a deep breath and sit beside the water. Should I go tonight or wait?