chapter four

I woke up slowly. The heat that surrounded me keeping me relaxed, and I snuggled into the source. Movement on my back made me stiffen and my eyes popped open. The smell of sandalwood and clover hit my nose. A tanned chest softly rose and fell with even breathing and my heart stopped. My eyes traveled up to the Alpha’s sleeping face. He looked so peaceful and handsome. My fingers itched to touch the smooth skin at his jaw. My arms are locked between us and his hold around my waist tightened. It felt so good. I am so close to him. Being held like this is new and I find myself enjoying the feeling.

I look back up to his face and freeze. His deep blue eyes are watching me closely. His grip doesn’t loosen. It’s like he is holding on for dear life. I try to pull away but he holds me still.

“Please just a moment longer.” His husky voice whispers.

My face heats up and I relax into him. His voice alone enough to send shivers down my spine. His hand moves again rubbing my back. My wolf is excited and running laps inside me. I can feel her happiness.

“What is your name little one?” He asks breaking the spell I was trapped in.

“Marilyn. Marilyn Flynn.” I say in a breathless voice.

He eased his hold and our eyes met again. “Marilyn. It fits you. My name is Jason. Jason Martin. I’m the Alpha in this pack and Kevin, I think you met him first, is my Beta.”

I nod and lower my eyes to his chest. My face feels hot and I can tell I’m blushing. He finally lets me go and gets up. His toned stomach and muscled arms enough to make me blush again. His dark pants are wrinkled from sleeping in them. He turned away from me and I hold back a gasp. His strong back is riddled with scars. The kind of scars only silver would leave.

My eyes lingered on the marks and his back tensed. I didn’t say anything and quickly looked away. He relaxed and pulled on a blue plaid button up shirt. I looked down at myself and frowned. My dress isn’t my dress. He chuckled and walked to the blanket covered door.

“Gina will be here shortly. She is in charge of taking care of you. Little Tia will most likely be with her.” He pulled the door open. “You may come and go as you please. You are free to do anything. Rest and take it easy for now.”

I didn’t have a chance to reply before he was gone. I moved to sit on my knees. Not feeling comfortable enough to stand. I still feel weak. I look around at the simple room. Is this one of the thatch houses I seen? Clearly the walls are thatch, and the blankets hanging over the windows and doors keep most of the cold winds out. The floor is covered in grass rope mats. The pallets that made up the bed is just a simple grass stuffed sheet with blankets and a pillow. A small shelf in the corner held a few books. Jars and leather bags stacked to one side of the room made the place look more homey. It did look clean for the most part. Nothing about this place or the people I’ve met so far seemed dirty or blood thirsty.

Rogues have a reputation of being the nastiest and most violent of all the werewolf creatures. I’m just not seeing it here. The blanket door opened and the small yellow haired girl rushed in. Her mother followed with a tray balanced in her hands.
“Tia! Don’t rush her like that.” She scolded the little girl.

I looked up at the woman and smiled. “She is okay. I feel much better today.”

The woman grinned. “That is great news! I’m Gina and this runt is Tia. My daughter is very excited to see you. I think she likes your wolf.”

We laugh when Tia pouts and sits down beside me. “I just think she is really pretty and I like her!” Tia looked up at me and held out a small bag. “Can I play with your hair? Please?” She let the please drag out like a small kid does.

I nodded, not being able to say no. “I am Marilyn. It’s nice to meet you both."

Gina knelt down setting the tray in front of me. “Oh it’s our pleasure. Now it’s not much but I have a nice bowl of oatmeal and strawberries. Some toast and a warm glass of chamomile tea.”

My stomach growled when the scent of the food hit my nose. These people already seem to have very little, and yet I’m getting fruit for breakfast. I didn’t even have that at home. I was lucky to find berries of any kind when I went out gathering herbs and greens.

I ate slowly and listened to Gina talk. Every so often Tia would pull a little to hard on my hair, but it felt good to have someone else play with it. The way Gina talked of the people here, it was a heaven at the cost of hard work and little food. They all worked together and even the alpha took his turn working alongside everyone else. They didn’t have a ranking system other than alpha and beta. And those titles were only to show respect for the leader and his second in command. Everyone even the kids trained physically everyday.

I felt at home listening to Gina. With the tray set to the side and Tia in my lap playing with a leather tie, Gina and I became friends.

Gina looked at me and softly smiled. “What can I ask about you and your home? Is it different? Why are you all alone?”

I looked down at Tia and admired her yellow hair. “I am from the Forest Pack a few miles south. I’m an omega and I live alone. My mate was killed two years ago while I was hiding under the floorboards. I’ve been living like an outsider in my own pack.”

Gina paled. “That’s horrible! How can a pack do that to one of its own members.” She looked at me with sadness in her eyes. “What about your parents and other family?”

I shook my head. “I don’t know my father and my mother died giving birth to me. One of the older women raised me like I was a slave. Until I turned sixteen and shifted. I lived alone after that.”

Gina let her eyes fall to the floor between us. “So you literally have no one.” She brushed a tear from her cheek.

“That’s not true anymore mommy!” Tia piped up. “She can be my aunty and I will love her forever! Don’t cry mommy.” Tia said softly smiling at me with her head tilted back.

I laughed and hugged her tight to my chest. “I can’t turn that down!” I say holding back the sudden tears threatening to fall.

The blanket door opened and the alpha and beta walked in. “Gina. Tia. We should go finish cleaning up the mess from last night.” Beta Kevin said lightly.

The look on all of their faces told me more than I wanted to know. The two men heard everything. I watched as Gina picked up the tray and Tia skipped over to her father. Gina turned to look at me with a smile, and I returned it.

Once they where gone Alpha Jason sat down beside me. “You are alone but still part of the pack.” He ran a hand through his short black hair. “Did you run away? Why or who are you looking for? You can’t be here just to get away.”

I let out a small breath. “I want to find my mate’s killers and destroy them. I have that right. I almost died when they took him from me.”

He turned to me. “You are still alive. Why do you need to do this? Do you even know who killed him?”

My eyes grew dark. “I was under his dead body with only boards and blood between us until I shifted and ripped my way out. I didn’t see the men who done it, but the pack told me it was rogues. I know the voices. They are still clear in my head. If I find the voices I find the killers!” I looked him in the eye and let all my anger show with a hiss. “I have to do it. To show that I am not the weak omega they think I am.”

He matched my stare. “You are not an omega and you never were! Woman you aren’t even a werewolf!”

I am shocked. Not a werewolf! Is he trying to offend me and put me on the lowest peg. My gaze turned darker and my eyes flashed between grey and silver. “Then what am I? Don’t touch me!” I yelled at him.

His hand dropped to his lap and he leaned forward. His voice thick with his Alpha aura. “You are a Lycanthrope.”

I paled. My breath caught and my wolf howled in my head. A lycan? Is that even possible. “But my mom.”

He cut me off. “You maybe half werewolf but you are most definitely Lycan blood. Only lycan’s can shift on days or nights that are not full moons.”

My head starts pounding and my eyes widen in disbelief. How did I not know this? All the stories I’ve heard. All the times I felt different. I grab my stomach at the sudden sharp pain that stabbed at my gut. The pack bond shattered into a million pieces. I screamed at the pain searing through my head. I roll into a ball holding my head. I didn’t feel him pull me onto his lap, or his hand stroking my back. Pain like no other ripped me apart suddenly and after a few minutes I felt nothing. No bond no anything. Did I just get kicked from my pack?

I uncurl and look up to find myself wrapped in his arms again. I feel to weak to pull away and instead I melt into his chest and use him for comfort. I’ve been through so much and I don’t know how much more I can take.

He spoke lightly. “I do know your mate was not killed by Rogues. We haven’t attacked a village or pack in five years. Who ever blamed us did it to get you away from your pack.”

I took a deep breath and slowly inched away from him to look him in the eye. “I don’t know what is truth anymore. I want to believe you. Will you help me?”

He thought about it and pulled me back to his chest. “I will try but you must take better care of yourself. You are no longer alone.”

If I am not alone, why has my pack bond been broken? I lay my head on his chest and wrap my arms around him not wanting to let go. The bond between us is stronger, but still weak. Can he feel it?

I want to believe him. I want to be free of the weakness that plagues me. Can I truly be a Lycanthrope? Maybe someone from that side of the mountain can tell me. I feel so frustrated. I can’t get answers for myself until I find my mate’s killers!

Moon Goddess is this your answer! Have you judged me and deemed me unworthy of a home? I feel his arms tighten around me.

Something is brushing against my mind and I have never felt anything like it before.

“Relax and let me in. Just reach out with your mind and take hold of my hand.” He whispers softly.

At first I don’t understand. The slight feeling of something brushing my mind happens again and I let my mind reach out for it.

My eyes widen and I fully understand what it is now. He created a new pack bond. All my pain disappeared and I feel so many emotions all at once.

I pull away from his chest to look up at him, he smiles with a small nod and suddenly his voice is in my head, and he is speaking without using his lips.

“You have never been mind linked before?” His deep voice asked.

My eyes widened and I shook my head in awe.

“The entire pack can be reached like this. All you have to do is concentrate on the person you wish to contact and that person will connect with you.” He smiled and the feeling in my mind faded.

He spoke and I flinched hearing his voice out loud. “For now I am the only one linked to you. Start slow and ask for the others to link to you one at a time so you can learn their waves. Each one is different. Remember to start slow.”

I nod taking it all in. This pack bond is different. One that feels more stable and permanent. If this bond breaks I might die or lose my mind completely.