Defiant Applause

Shub's POV :

We did celebrate overboard yesterday but everyone was up for the practice at 6am , we had to win the finals at any costs. Competing on our home turf brought a comforting familiarity, yet carried the weight of community expectations.The fields echoed with dreams of the citizens, turning the game into a stage where our every move symbolised a shared connection.A country where the sport we play was worshipped.

The pressure was high but so were our chances of winning,the tension did rise within our practice sessions for the consecutive days.Each and every citizen looked forward to the d-day, so did we.

✧⁠*⁠。✧⁠*⁠。✧⁠*⁠。

The eagerly awaited day had finally dawned after an enduring wait, a sensation that had persisted for the past four days. Each fleeting minute seemed to stretch into an hour.Maybe it was just me being jittery because, you know, it was my first-ever World Cup and people were tagging me as the "prince of cricket." I really didn't want to let them down.

As the sun ascended, casting a mesmerizing blend of orange, red, and yellow hues across the sky, I moistened my parched lips while gazing at the celestial display. Suddenly, I felt a pat on my back. No prizes for guessing, it was him - his touch was unmistakable. "Nervous?" he inquired, to which I responded with a glance that conveyed, "Come on, is it not blatantly obvious?". A chuckle escaped him as he enveloped me in a comforting embrace, a seemingly trivial gesture. It's funny how a simple gesture from him could hit me right in the feels.

"Give it your best shot and don't stress about the results, jaan," he said, giving my neck a peck. Simple advice, but coming from him, it felt pretty darn special.

✧⁠*⁠。✧⁠*⁠。✧⁠*⁠。

Stepping onto the field alongside Rohit bhai, my heart pounded like never before. The stadium, vast and filled with a crowd of 1.3 lakhs, had all eyes fixed on us, their chants of "we bleed blue" echoing around. It stirred a sensation, a blend of nervous excitement and pride, reminiscent of the profound connection I felt during our national anthem.

Taking a deep breath, I scanned the massive venue. In that sea of faces, I searched for my father, my hero, whose smile had the power to thaw the icy burden of stress weighing on me but couldn't spot him. Instead, my gaze locked onto hers - Sara. The crowd, ever quick to catch on, erupted into cheers at that brief exchange. Despite the distraction, I tried to focus. Honestly, I wished I possessed the concentration of Virat bhai or Rohit bhai.

✧⁠*⁠。✧⁠*⁠。✧⁠*⁠。

Despite the team's valiant efforts, the match took an unexpected turn as it struggled to defend the 240 run total. The opposing team, fueled by the pressure and the desire to chase down the modest target, came out swinging with determination.

The bowlers of our team tried to create magic on the field, delivering tight and accurate overs. They cleverly mixed up their deliveries, varying the pace and line to keep the batsmen on their toes. Fielders were positioned strategically, ready to pounce on any opportunity to create a breakthrough.

However, the Australian batsmen exhibited skill and resilience. They played each ball with precision, carefully selecting which deliveries to attack and which ones to defend. Boundaries started to flow, and the required run rate began to look less daunting. The crowd, which had initially been hopeful, now watched in tense anticipation as the opposition gained momentum. Despite their best efforts, wickets remained elusive, and the required runs continued to decrease. Despite the loss, our team tried its best to showcased sportsmanship, acknowledging the efforts of our opponents and appreciating the support of the fans. As we walked off the field, there was a sense of disappointment, but also a determination to learn from the experience and come back stronger in the games to come.

✧⁠*⁠。✧⁠*⁠。✧⁠*⁠。

( In the dressing room )

Ishu put a reassuring arm around my shoulder and said, "Hey mate, tough luck out there. But you know what they say, it's just a game, and we'll come back stronger next time." His words carried a comforting tone, attempting to lighten the mood in the face of defeat. I managed a half-smile, appreciating Ishan's effort to cheer me up. Ishan continued, his tone turning slightly more playful, "Besides, I've heard that a true champion is not measured by how they handle victory, but how they bounce back from defeat. And trust me, we're going to bounce back like champions."

I chuckled, feeling a bit more at ease in Ishan's company. Ishan, known for his wit, couldn't resist adding a touch of humour, "You know, Shubi, even the greatest cricketers have had their fair share of losses. Sachin, Virat, you name it. It's just a part of the game. And hey, I've got a feeling our victory celebration is just delayed, not cancelled." Ishu said as he gave me a wink. I knew he was equally as disappointed as everyone else but his habit of lightening the mood is something I will forever be grateful for.

✧⁠*⁠。✧⁠*⁠。✧⁠*⁠。

( Still traumatised by the loss T_T )