Starry Reflection

Ishu's POV :

Late night talks' under the stars

A palpable sense of exhaustion enveloped all of us boys. The spirit of sportsmanship lingered in the air, acknowledging the undeniable effort each player had poured into the game in their quest for championship glory. Yet, amidst the camaraderie, a subtle undercurrent of individual reflection prevailed-a collective sentiment of "if only I had given a bit more" or "perhaps I could have avoided this misstep and embraced that opportunity."

We'd won ten matches straight, but never underestimate any opponent, practising just as hard as the first game.However, the weight of disappointment hung heavily on Shubi, who, despite the team's collective effort, felt a profound guilt for his own performance. Scoring mere four runs and subsequently being dismissed left him grappling with a sense of disgrace.

Even though I wasn't playing , I empathise with Shubi's inner turmoil. My mom's advice echoed in my mind ,
"Never retire for the night with a frown or dwell on what could have been done differently in a game."
I realised her meaning behind when I was in Jharkhand, away from the comforting presence of my family.

Shubi, on the other hand, wasn't someone who openly talked about his feelings. Instead, he wrestled with his thoughts, sometimes troubled by nightmares or having trouble falling asleep.Determined to comfort him, I got dressed and left the bathroom. Looking around the room for Shubi, I noticed he wasn't there. Instinctively, I headed to the balcony, a peaceful spot where he usually found comfort in the cool night air and the gentle glow of the stars.

I heard him attempting to brush away his tears as my footsteps drew near. Playfully, I hummed, "Oh ho (sorri reminds me of santa), when did you start keeping secrets from me?" He ignored my comment, fixated on the vast night sky.

I chuckled to myself, reflecting on the idea of a dark sky." It's fascinating how our perspective shifts with our emotions. A starry night, typically considered an ideal setting for a winter date, becomes even more magical after spending the day cuddling and creating joyful memories with a loved one. The stars seem to shine brighter, captivating our attention so much that we momentarily forget about the surrounding darkness."

"Hm?" he responded, encouraging me to go on. "But today, on a day that wasn't great-maybe our worst day-the way we gaze at the sky has shifted. All we see now is the darkness, overlooking the gleaming stars. When we're feeling down, it's like the stars aren't shining, or perhaps we don't even acknowledge their presence. Regardless of whether we notice it or not, their brilliance never diminishes or fades."

"What are you getting at?" Shubi inquired, looking puzzled. "Today, you might think you let the audience down by not playing well. They might even question your talent and skills, comparing you to other players who performed better. But their opinions don't diminish your potential."

✧⁠*⁠。✧⁠*⁠。✧⁠*⁠。

Shub's POV :

I turned to face him, and there he was, gazing at me with eyes filled with concern, a hint of glossiness from freshly shed tears. His voice alone was reassuring, and his presence meant the world to me. However, I hesitated to reveal my vulnerability now that I had come to a realisation. As he began to speak, all I could think about was if tasting his lips would solve my worries at that moment. The intensity of our eye contact, leading my gaze toward his lips, carried a passion that stirred emotions beyond the boundaries of a close friendship with my best friend.I willed myself to stop overthinking and locked eyes with him, resisting the temptation to lean in for a kiss. I mean, who wouldn't want to kiss him? He always pouts-hold on, what do I mean by ''who wouldn't'' , did I just think that? I furrowed my brows, surprised at my own thoughts. Other people entertain the idea of kissing my Ishu?

✧⁠*⁠。✧⁠*⁠。✧⁠*⁠。