II. Hair pins

"WILLOW CARTER!" THE woman announced, Roses entire world froze as she realized what had happened, her face going almost green. For a moment she thought maybe she had manifested it, conjured it with her thoughts.

Roses eyes locked with Willows, her eyes were practically bulging out of her head, they looked as panicked yet empty as if what had just happened hadn't completely registered to her yet.

"No." Rose whispers to herself, she turns in the other direction to see her mother, already practically on her knees in tears.

"Willow Carter?" The woman repeats, a clearing opens from Willow to the stage as she slowly begins walking towards her impending doom.

'I wont let anything bad happen to you.' Roses voice rings through her own head as her feet seem to be working faster than her head, she was already halfway towards Willow when she realized what she was doing.

     "Willow!" She shouts, her voice cracking as she holds back tears from her eyes, Willows head jerks around, stopping her from going up those steps. Two peacekeepers approach Rose in an attempt to restrain her, though she kicks and thrashes, their force was simply too much for her.

     "I volunteer!" Roses voice suddenly fills the air, her head was completely empty other than one thought, she had to protect Willow.
"I volunteer!" Rose repeats, her voice more assuring and confident than the last time as she manages to push the peacekeepers off of them.
Because District 4 was a career district, volunteers were relatively common, but you mostly see people volunteering for their own fame rather than to protect their families.

     "Splendid!" The woman jumps slightly into the air, clapping her hands with excitement.

     "No, no!" Willow cries out, running up to Rose and attaching herself to her side, burying her head into her side as tears stain her old blue dress.

     "Go find mom, now." Rose demands, cupping Willows head in her hands for possibly the last time as she holds back tears, squeezing her shoulders before sending her off and watching her get lost in the crowd whose pushing her screaming body back. A silent tear falls down Roses cheek as she puts on a sad smile, nodding her head slightly before taking one last shaky breath and descending up the short stairs and onto the stage.

     Suddenly, the entirety of district fours eyes were plastered on Rose, their eyes widened as Rose spotted some familiar faces in the crowd.
The girl with the red hair, she had said good morning to her just yesterday, the boy with the black shirt, she had helped him with his homework in grade school.

     "I wont let anything bad happen to you." I whisper to myself, repeating the words I had said to Willow just this morning.

     "And whats your name dear?" The feather wearing lady leans over to ask Rose, bending her body ever so slightly to match her height in those heels. Rose felt slightly guilty for never bothering to remember the feather wearing ladies name, now of all times it would be important to remember.

     "Rose Carter." Rose speaks, her voice forcefully strong though on the inside she was crumbling like a cookie within the capitals fists.

     "Carter... I assume that was your sister?" She raises her eyebrows, a grin spreading across her face. I turn to look at her, seeing close up that she must have gotten her golden eyes through some sort of surgery must be. She snaps back into the moment, nodding to her though still paying close attention to her other features. She had a mark right above her lip which she desperately attempted to conceal with her ghost white foundation, she had gold earrings, once again, resembling a feather.