𝟎𝟎𝟏. the covey and the rescuer

chapter one
the covey and the rescuer

Coriolanus Snow had immense pride and euphoria after his tribute, Lucy Gray Baird,
won the Hunger Games. He knew that his life would turn around. His family would soon receive the riches that they needed and Coriolanus would go on to university freely.

He was proud of himself and even of his tribute. Out of all twenty-four tributes, his had won. Out of twenty four teenage capitol mentors, he had been the best. It wasn't a surprise though.

Snow lands on top. That was the legacy that repeated in Coriolanus's head, and it was very true.

Until everything was wrecked.

Coriolanus had cheated in order to get the Plinth Prize. Whoever's tribute survived the games was awarded the prize. Coriolanus and his family desperately needed it.

Coriolanus just needed to win even if it was in an unfair way. He couldn't let someone inferior take it from him.

He did win, but he was caught in the act of cheating. In a result of his cheating, he was not awarded the prize and was now being forced to become a Peacekeeper.

Coriolanus would be part of the effort to maintain order and prevent another rebellion from happening. That meant he had to leave his family and dreams behind to go the Districts.

He was not fond of the districts at all. All of the people there were... not to his liking.

Coriolanus was already in the process of getting his curls turned into a buzz and getting assigned his position. Then he would travel by train to get to the districts.

Lucy Gray, his tribute, was in District 12, but Coriolanus didn't care about her too much. She had proved herself strong and obedient, but Coryo had nothing left he needed from her.

He was assigned to District 12 as a Peacekeeper.

Avery Spade was just trying to survive District 12. Providing for and living with her two sisters was no easy life. They were old enough to manage for themselves, but not old enough to be adult or to even live on their own in Avery's opinion.

She was the oldest of the two, and after their parents died, it was almost impossible to survive. It didn't help that Avery wasn't a miner in the district of mining.

It wasn't her fault. She couldn't be. Avery didn't want to be a miner, but she would if she had to. She was seventeen, and you were required to be at least eighteen years of age to be employed in the mines.

To her, the mines seemed terrifying. Maybe District 12 wasn't the most suitable for her, but she didn't exactly have a choice in anything including where she lived. Accidents and explosions happened all the time, and people lost their loved ones all the time.

There would only be one man to provide for Avery's sisters if she died in the mine. That man's name is Otto.

He wasn't blood related to them. Avery wasn't sure how they connected, they just did. Otto is a coal miner, and he's good at it too. He's told Avery that he's never had an accident in the mines. Usually, he comes back with promising finds too.

He was their source of money, which meant he was their source for food and the rest of their needs. In all honesty, Otto was their savior. Not Avery.

Her twin sisters, Gretchen & Gwynn, always named Avery as their savior and their hero in the dark place of District 12.

She always hung her head low, knowing that she could never fully take credit for that title. Even without parents, they were able to find a fathering figure.