𝟎𝟏𝟖. snow lands on top

chapter eighteen
snow lands on top

Avery Spade cried in Coriolanus Snow's arms for the rest of the night. He felt extremely differently about the situation, but he had nothing better to do other then to comfort her.

He sat there staring at the wall as she cuddled close to him and stained his shirt with tear after tear.

He had no idea that Avery thought this highly of Lucy Gray. Coriolanus is very disappointed as well, due to the fact that he devoted his time and effort into helping her survive. All of it was for nothing- the songbird is dead.

Part of him didn't believe that she was dead. Lucy Gray was always speaking about running away like him and Avery did, but she wanted to out alone and mysteriously. He could envision her in the dark woods surrounded by the irritating mockingjays.

After sobbing for what seemed like forever, Avery fell asleep on him. Coriolanus has many things to do, but Avery is his priority.

He scooped her up and laid her down on his white sheets. Coriolanus followed her into the bed, resting beside her and staring at her in awe.

Avery has always been stunning but she was glowing in beauty while at the Capitol. It was likely because of the Capitol's beauty and hygiene product supply. District 12 is a very poor place.

Coriolanus inched closer to her under the snow colored sheets. She breathed in and out peacefully. She was relaxed around him, and that relaxed Coryo.

He's been having many battles against demons; having murdered his best friend and others. He's become a different man since Gaul brought him back to the Capitol. He's becoming a true Snow. In the morning, it will be Sejanus's 19th birthday.

Avery loved Sejanus so dearly. It would break her once she found out. Coriolanus closed his eyes and relaxed next to the woman he desires.

Avery's eyelids fluttered open, but she felt an aura of warmth around her. Arms were wrapped around her body and she looked up to see a sleeping Coriolanus Snow.

She's never seen him so peaceful. Her face continued to grow redder. Avery was enclosed in his arms and her head was against his chest.

Avery closed her eyes and pretended to be asleep.

Two minutes later, she felt him move. "I know you're awake," his enchanting morning voice spoke.

Avery opened her eyes and was hypnotized by his blue eyes. She reached to touch his soft hair. He was beautiful both ways, but she adored his new hairstyle.

Moments like this made her believe that Coryo is the same person as he was before the reaping. Moments like this make her forget his controlling ways yesterday.

"We have to get up."

He pulled himself further under the sheets. "No we don't."

Avery smiled.

Coriolanus's expression suddenly turned serious. "Today would have been Sejanus's 19th birthday."

Avery's heart felt heavy. She imagined Sejanus blowing out the candles on a cake that read 19. He died at the hands of Capitol forces because he was simply doing the right thing.

What would Coriolanus say if Avery told him that she agreed with the cause Sejanus promoted? Coryo doesn't realize that the citizens of the districts are mostly miserable.

Sejanus represented the good in the Capitol. The true good. Avery once thought Coriolanus represented that, but now she's not so sure.

Maybe Coryo is evil. Maybe he's psychotic. But somehow she still loves him.

"I miss him, Coryo."

"I know, my beautiful rose," he mumbled, his lips gently pressing against hers for a moment.

How can the touch of one's lips make someone forget all of their thoughts?

Coriolanus finally got up."I'll be back, love. I have to go deliver something."

Avery didn't question him as she decided to lay down for another five minutes.

Meanwhile, Coriolanus was going to execute his plan. He was going to kill Dean Highbottom for everything he's put him through. He made Coriolanus's life hell, blaming the creation of the Hunger Games on the Snows instead of himself.

He may have come up with the idea drunken, but that doesn't matter. He created the games, and honestly Coriolanus was thankful for them. They set order.

There was only one small problem with them. Technically, Avery could be reaped. He would never let that happen. And if she was ever reaped, he would deem himself as his mentor and take any risk possible to make her win. She wouldn't be eligible soon enough.

Highbottom was asleep with his head resting on his desk. Pathetic. He probably had one too many drinks like usual.

Coriolanus dropped a pile of Sejanus's old stuff on his desk and there was a loud clanking sound. Highbottom picked his head up in surprise.

He spoke sluggishly until Coryo heard something that caught his ear. "Coriolanus Snow." he looked at him in pretend pity. "The heir to the Plinth fortune, nothing in your way."

Coriolanus wore an expensive and maroon suit and he looked at Highbottom in pure disgust.

"Snow lands on top," his brooding deep egotistic voice spoke.

"Yeah," Highbottom mumbled.

Coriolanus smirked and then slowly exited the classroom. In that moment he truly became Snow instead of Coryo.

He left Sejanus's old bottles of morphlings in the box of items, knowing that Highbottom wouldn't be able to resist it.

And he was correct.

Highbottom drank a swig of morphling, but he suddenly felt an awful pain in his chest. He felt his body begun to shut down.

That's because Coriolanus laced the drink with rat poison.

Dean Highbottom died at the hands of Snow, who showed no remorse for his killing at all. It's his fourth kill at this point.

Avery had just gotten dressed and she wandered into the living room of the apartment. Before she could sit down, she was stopped by Tigris.

Avery gave the blonde a friendly wave, but she noticed the unusual worried expression on Tigris's face. She normally wore a caring smile.

"Tigris, what's wrong?"

She wore a very elegant outfit, and Avery assumed that she was able to expand her career in fashion after being granted the Plinth's fortune.

"I think you should get out of here," Tigris said suddenly.

Avery's smile dropped. "What why?"

She's always been fond of Tigris, and now she's telling Avery that she should go? Avery felt a little sting in her heart.

"Coryo- I mean Coriolanus, has gotten out of control. I'm a part of this family, but you're not. You can leave before it's too late, Avery."

Before Avery could think about it, Coriolanus walked into the apartment.