𝟎𝟐𝟎. sisters sent to their deaths

chapter twenty
sisters sent to their deaths

The protective huntress from District 12 has transformed into a delicate rose. That rose has sunken beneath snow and succumbed to its power.

The day for reaping came again. Avery Spade has been dreading this day. Today, she may find out if her sisters are still alive.

But today she could loose one of her sisters permanently. If a Spade girl is chosen for the 11th Annual Hunger Games, Avery might just not wish to live anymore.

Avery has become a Capitol girl, but she still is very District. Coriolanus keeps her "under control" still, and many still look at her as filth. She looks at them the same way, so it doesn't bother her that much. She's not the one murdering kids every year.

Coriolanus has demanded that she stop her rebellious thoughts, but she refuses. Even if she tried to leave for the Districts, he wouldn't let her.

Everyone in the Capitol knows how possessive Snow is over his little rose. Grandma'am has warmed up a little bit, asking Coriolanus when he's going to settle into marriage with Avery. Warmed up too much.

She's been forced to put on a show for the Capitol. Avery has been forced to perform even though she wasn't in the Hunger Games. It feels like she's in that arena, trying to win the Capitol's attention just to survive. Doctor Gaul could kill her at any moment, and honestly so could Coriolanus. But he wouldn't.

You'll never get used to waking up beside Coriolanus Snow every morning. You'll never get used to the way he shows you such hungry love but you'll also never get used to feeling like you belong to him.

Avery managed to make some aquatiences, possibly friends, throughout the Capitol. Just about everyone is interested in meeting Snow's lover that is rumored to have come from the Districts.

She met one nice woman, Azora Pail. She seemed to be nice for a Capitol citizen, but Avery still shuddered every time she spoke about celebrating the Hunger Games.

Azora asked Avery an interesting question. "How did you get Snow to melt for you? Coriolanus, I mean. I've never really seen him show true emotion towards anyone aside from maybe Tigris."

Avery didn't have an answer. What made her of so much value to Coriolanus? Why didn't he just leave her behind in District 12? Why did he have such a need for her?

He never wants her to leave him. One time, Azora took Avery to explore a part of the Capitol grounds she's never seen before. It was later at night, and Avery felt like she was actually being treated like a human being rather than a lucky district citizen (piece of filth).

She came back that night to a very unpleased Coriolanus Snow. He insisted for her to not go out that late without him by her side. He said it's "for her safety".

Oh, and Dean Casca Highbottom died. He was the one who came up with the idea of the Hunger Games while drunk. She heard from Azora that he was actually a good man.

She didn't doubt that it was Coriolanus's doing. She wasn't phased at this point. Avery knows how terrible that is, but it seems like being a killer is in the Snow veins.

If you disobey Snow, you may be the next victim.

Avery stood out from the sea of many dark colors in her red dress. Coriolanus dressed similarly, coordinating his look with hers. They shined in the powerful and murderous color of red.

She still wore the rose pendant necklace around her neck. Avery felt the emotions hit her in one humongous wave as her and Coriolanus entered the large elegant room full of people who were ready to watch children be sent to their death.