𝟎𝟐𝟑. first lady of panem

chapter twenty three
first lady of panem

"May I present President Coriolanus Snow of Panem" the loud voice boomed as the crowd cheered. "-and his First Lady, Avery Snow!"

The crowd cheered once again. It was full of brainwashed Capitol citizens and people who admired Coriolanus's many additions to the Hunger Games.

Avery kept a smile on her face and concealed her true feelings. It's been four years since she's come to the Capitol and lost her sisters and Lucy Gray, and it's been five years since she lost Otto, Jessie, and Sejanus.

Avery has shackles on her wrists, but they're invisible. Coriolanus grabbed her hand with force and held it up in the air as everyone cheered at seeing their hands intertwined.

She's had no choice but to adjust to Capitol life. She fell in love with Coriolanus back in District 12, and ever since she's had this love for him that she can't control.

He fell in love just like she did, but he became obsessed and possessive. Avery could tell him that she hates him and she could try and kill him, and Coriolanus would still force her to be by his side.

The truth is that President Snow would go insane without his rose. While many crazy Capitol citizens admire Snow, many are afraid of his power and dictatorship. They want Avery to stay with him so he doesn't become even more insane and kill everyone in Panem.

Coriolanus hasn't lost his charm or his looks. She still got chills when his blue eyes looked adoringly into hers. Their hands dropped lower and they disappeared behind the scenes.

Avery was no longer confined to a penthouse. She has now resided with Coriolanus in the Presidential Palace. It's humongous and Avery finds herself getting lost in it.

Tigris became one of the first ever stylists for the tributes in the Hunger Games. All of these elements that Corioanus added to the games have just made them more thrilling for people. People want to see them now; they want to see children be murdered.

Avery is apart of that now. Do the brainwashed Capitol residents even remember where she is from?

She is from the poorest District there is, District 12. The only reason she is here is because of Coriolanus Snow and the obsession he gained while he was briefly assigned to be a Peacekeeper.

Avery doesn't even know that Lucy Gray is alive. She is alive in the shadows, finding out the news in Panem from her mockingjays. She knows that Avery has fallen far beneath sheets of snow.

One day the rebellion will come, and Avery hopes it will. She's not sure how long she can keep up the act of a Capitol princess. Sometimes she pretends that she is living happily married when Coriolanus comes home from his work.

He spends all day making ruthless and cruel decisions for Panem and then he innocently creeps into their room. Coriolanus finds relief when he knows that Avery is still locked in the mansion and not out escaping in the woods like she did before.

The sick smirk comes back onto his lips as he kisses her endlessly. Beneath all of that charm and beauty is a monster. Avery falls asleep beside him and has nightmares all night long.

Occasionally, she'll wake up in a sweat and he'll ask her what's wrong. She just explains that she has nightmares and he brushes it off as something normal.

Avery has terrors about her lost friends and family. And she has terrors about the children has let die.

The final nightmare is always about Coriolanus. He locks her in a cage and then throws the key far far away, way out of Panem. Somewhere that she'll never be able to reach.

Avery suddenly came back to reality as she took a bite of the rich meal in front of her. She sat across from Coriolanus in an empty mansion. It's just them. There are echoes when they speak, and sometimes Avery hears Gwynn's screams.

"You don't seem happy," Coriolanus's deep voice noted.

Avery dropped her fork as she took a deep breath. Coriolanus wasn't eating. He was just staring into her eyes. He never had trouble making eye contact for long periods of time, and his eyes always had a layer of intimidation.

"Avery. You're one of the most powerful people in Panem."

She still wasn't speaking. Avery was adorned in all of these jewels and riches while her true people rotted back in District 12.

Her hand reached for her rose pendant as it always did when she felt anxious. Avery has needed to do it a lot recently.

"I know," she whispered.

Coriolanus suddenly got up from his seat and began making his way towards her. Avery found herself frightened as she got up herself.

He still looked at her as if she was the most important thing in the world. Unfortunately, it's not true at all. While Coriolanus may believe he is the most loving husband, all of his love truly goes to power. He thrives the most when he has power and control over others, not when he is enjoying the company of his Avery. However, he does love when he gets to control his Avery.

Coriolanus moved closer, enclosing her delicate face in his hands. A single tear trickled down Avery's face, which went unnoticed to Coriolanus.

"Don't you love me? Don't you love everything we've built together?"

She just silently nodded as he took her hand in his. "Come with me."

Avery followed Coriolanus as he brought her to the gigantic window in the mansion that overlooked the Capitol of Panem.

"All of this is ours. We rule over all of this together," he told her.

Avery looked at him silently, thinking, "I thought you were different. I thought you were peaceful and sweet."

Coriolanus chuckled to himself and looked out the glass window in pride. Panem isn't the only thing Coriolanus is in control of. He's in control of Avery.

"You're mine, my rose."

Avery is his.

Avery Spade belongs to Coriolanus Snow and there is absolutely nothing she can do about it.

this is the last chapter of Peacekeeper and I've honestly enjoyed writing it so much! I feel like this ending really reflects how awful of a person Coryo becomes and I feel like that's important. I really love young Coryo because obviously he is very VERY attractive (thanks tom blyth) but the things he did, especially to finnick, are insane. thank you for all the support and i hope you enjoyed! i'm going to be writing more snow, tom blyth, and hunger games fanfics so be sure to read them when they're out!

speaking of finnick, i'm thinking of writing one for him🥰

**if you enjoyed peacekeeper, check out my newest coryo fic, possession of the president