𝟎𝟐𝟏. rainbow of destruction

chapter twenty one
rainbow of destruction

The way to the Snow penthouse and the encounter that took place inside of it was a complete disaster.

Avery and Coriolanus were yelling back and forth at each other.

"I'm going to listen to my sister's final wish! I'm taking the train back to District 12!"

He looked at her furiously as she made a bolt for the door. He couldn't just keep her trapped for as long as he wishes.

"Avery!"

Coriolanus can scold her like a child all he wants, but it won't change Avery's mind.

"If I want to go back to District 12, there's nothing you can do about it."

Coriolanus swiftly took a step in front of her, blocking the door with his body. He looked down at Avery with his tempting lips and threatening frosty eyes.

"You can't go back to the Districts now. You're either Capitol or you're dead."

Avery's eyes swelled up with tears as she thought about meeting her sister after the games ended. Gwynn has the resilience needed to win, but she can't survive that arena with her small and weak figure.

Coriolanus is giving her selfish options.

Him or death.

She'll either die by his side or die by the hands of Gaul and the Capitol.

"Is that really what you see happening to me if I leave?" Avery whispered.

Coriolanus leaned closer to her and softened his eyes just slightly. "Yes."

She was silent, feeling useless and trapped in a world she never asked to be in. Coriolanus stared. "I'm sorry about your sister. It's hard for 12 to have a miracle like Lucy Gray."

Now Coriolanus is telling her that her sister is going to die because she isn't like the tribute he mentored. Does everything have to be about his great success?

Avery knows a lot of Coriolanus's thought on District 12. He thinks all negative things, even though it's her home.

He thinks that they are filthy and poor. He thinks that the way they live is disgusting compared to the Capitol, and he puts everyone there on a lower level than himself and his luxury.

Coriolanus has always described her as the only beauty in 12.

In reality, there is much more beauty other then herself. There are other wonderful people such as her sisters and the Covey. There are beautiful meadows beyond the town, and there are woods beyond the fences. People make the best of their living situations and do what they have to in order to survive. There's a small bakery in town that delivers wonderful smells to the neighbors, and there are coal mines extending throughout the district.

Coal mines. Avery shuddered at the memory of Otto's body being dragged away.

District 12 was devastated by the Capitol just like everyone else.

"District 12 is worth more than you think, Coriolanus."

His hands cupped her face. "My rose, you need to pull yourself together. For me. You know how much I love you, and I can't afford to loose you because of your reckless behavior."

She was going to trick him. "Coryo," Avery whispered innocently before bringing her eyes to meet his lips.

Coriolanus smirked and began to kiss her. That's his answer to everything. If he does something wrong, he tries to distract her from the actual problem.