𝟎𝟎𝟖. killings of the rebels

chapter eight
killing of the rebels

Avery and Coriolanus were enjoying themselves as Lucy Gray performed. Coriolanus's arm was wrapped around Avery as her body slightly swayed to the music.

Lucy Gray begin to sing a love song. Avery's eyes were focused on Coriolanus who seemed to be a bit zoned out. Lucy Gray's heartfelt lyrics made her think of her complex feelings for Coriolanus Snow.

She wanted to express them to him so badly. But would she sound idiotic? A district girl admitting that she feels something for a peacekeeper Capitol boy that she met a month ago.

"Coryo," Avery said quietly.

"Yeah?" he asked, looking down at her.

Avery couldn't say anything about the song. It would make it too obvious. At the most, she only had a slight crush. That was all. She decided to enjoy the moment with the song in the background.

"Never mind," she mumbled.

Coriolanus was tensing up. "Avery, I've got to go. I'll be right back."

The moment was ruined. Avery sighed as she watched Lucy Gray pour her heart and soul into her music. Coriolanus has been acting strange all night. Something's worrying him.

Avery watched as he rushed down a hallway.

She was silent until an unfamiliar peacekeeper approached her. "You're the girl who hangs out with Snow, aren't you?"

Avery was sure that other peacekeepers weren't supposed to know about their relationship, friendship, or whatever they called themselves.

"I mean, I know him, it's nothing-"

He laughed before moving closer. Avery was uncomfortable and creeped out. "I see why he's always around you. You're awfully pretty for a district girl."

Avery was trying to give Coriolanus privacy. If he had to attend to a matter that concerned a peacekeeper and not her, she wanted to respect that.

But she didn't feel safe around this peacekeeper like she did with him. A decent amount of time has passed since he's left too. Avery was curious to know what he was doing.

She wordlessly pushed pash the peacekeeper and sped walk in the same direction that Coriolanus went. She heard loud shouting and was horrified as she entered the small room.

Sejanus, Billy Taupe, Mayfair Lipp, and Jessie stood in front of the stone wall. Another person who Avery was pretty sure to be a citizen, Spruce, stood a bit further from them with a gun in his hand.

Coriolanus stood the furthest away from everyone. Avery looked at them and then down at the table that contained more weapons.

Avery was terrified when she realized there was weapons and Spruce had one ready to kill. She forgot about Coriolanus for a moment when she made eye contact with Jessie.

"Jessie," she mouthed.

Her blonde friend looked at her in sorrow and mouthed back, "I'm sorry" with no further explanation.

Mayfair looked around the room with her fiery red hair and lips full of authority. Being the Mayor's daughter gave her everything in the world.

Avery was so confused as to what was going on. Coriolanus immediately put his arm in front of her, pushing her into the corner. "Stay back."

She had never heard him this furious.

"My pa's going to string all of y'all up when he hears about this," Mayfair scoffed, beginning to try and exit.