Chapter 9

You knocked gently on the door of Ciel’s study and sighed quietly. You refused to give in to him. You were loyal to Lizzy and were going to nip this little thing with Ciel in the bud.

“Enter” Called Ciel’s monotone voice through the door.

You opened the door and walked into the room and stood in the centre. Ciel was quietly gazing out of the window. It was quiet for a moment before he turned his gaze to you and spoke.

“You were acting pretty strangely at dinner, care to explain?”

You tore your gaze away from him and looked off to the side. “I have no idea what you are talking about.” You tried to play dumb, sadly you knew he wouldn’t fall for it, he was far too smart.

He sighed in agitation and walked over to you. “Look at me ____.”

You refused to look at him. He sighed again and put his hand on your cheek, turning your face towards him. You flinched, suddenly realising how close you were to him. His single blue eye softened when it met with your (e/c) ones.

“Why have you been ignoring me ____?” He said softly. Your gaze softened at his tone.

“Elizabeth. Ciel, I can’t hurt her and you know that. She’s my best friend and your fiancé.” You whispered, gently removing his hand from your face.

“I can always break off the engagement you know...” He mumbled.

You took a step back. You couldn’t believe he cared about you that much. You cared about him too, but you also cared about Sebastian...

“No Ciel, you can’t! Do you have any idea how much she cares about you? How much she loves you?!” Your temper was getting to you, you were trying to protect Elizabeth, but your heart cracked every time you pushed him away.

Ciel’s harsh stare was locked on your form, temper flaring. “So? Do you have any idea how much I care about you! How much I love you!?” Ciel yelled. Ciel’s eyes widened at what he said. His eyes softened on you before turning to the ground.

You were stunned into silence. He loved you? Did you love him? What about Elizabeth? What about Sebastian? So many thoughts were running through your head. What do you say? What do you do? You just stood there, in silence.

Ciel stared at the ground harshly and clenched his fists. You didn’t say anything. He didn’t know if you even loved him. Why did he tell you that? He was so frustrated with himself. He felt heartbroken.  He couldn’t even look at you and kept his gaze locked on the ground.

“You know what? I don’t love you. What was I thinking? Just go back to your precious Sebastian. That’s all you care about.” He huffed towards the ground. He was so angry he didn’t even think about what he was saying. A choked sob tore his gaze away from the ground and towards you.

You did love him. At least you thought you did. You didn’t know what to say. What to think. You couldn’t tell him that anyway, what about Elizabeth? How would she react if she found out you were in love with her fiancé? How would she react is Ciel broke off their engagement because of you? His words echoed in your head. ‘I don’t love you.’ You could feel your heart break just hearing him say that. You loved him, you were just confused. Now you weren’t so sure. A single tear rolled down your cheek and you looked into Ciel’s blue eye that you had grown to love so much. His gaze softened and a look of regret crossed his face. He opened his mouth to say something but you cut him off.

“Fine.”  You growled, and ran out the door.

He wants you to go to Sebastian? That’s what you will do then.

“____ wait!” You heard him yell from his study. You weren’t going to listen. You continued to run down the halls, tears blurring your vision.

Ciel slammed his hands on his desk before slumping down into his chair, hands over his face. How could he say that to you? How could he do that to you? He told you to go to Sebastian. That was probably the last thing he wanted right now. He was just hurt that you didn’t return his confession.  He suddenly remembered the stories that his mother used to tell him and Elizabeth when they were young. The one about the prince and the princess falling in love. The one that would make Elizabeth’s eyes light up and sigh dreamily. Why couldn’t it be that simple? There always had to be obstacles. 

‘____ I am so sorry. I do love you. I truly do.’

He pretty much drove you into Sebastian’s arms. He was losing the game. He was losing you.