Chapter 6: An Unexpected Reunion

Eli was lounging on her couch, the sun rays shinning in from her balcony casting a warm glow around her home and the smell of freshly baked pastries from the bakery below wafting through. A whirlwind of thoughts was swirling within her— thoughts about her recent discussions with Charles, the uncertainties about attending the upcoming Monaco Grand Prix, and the anticipation of seeing Lando after such a long time occupied her mind. What if they got it completely wrong and all the encounters could just be explained by chance? What if it's all for nothing? Frustration grew within her as weeks passed and the number of darkened pearls on her bracelet remained the same. She couldn't help but think if there would be any consequences should she not be able to fulfil her duties. Was there such a thing as running out of time? The doorbell rang, snapping her out of spiral of thoughts. Puzzled as she wasn't expecting anyone, she made her way down to open the door. To her surprise, she was greeted by Lando on the other side of the door, hands tucked in his pockets, a hint of bashfulness on his face.

"Lando?" Eli uttered in disbelief, eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"Hi..." he started, "Sorry, bit unexpected, but my friend bailed on our plans last minute, and I was around the area, so I thought I'd come by to say hi. So, hi?" he explained, a sheepish grin crossing his face as he scratched the back of his head. You could tell he was a bit nervous, but Eli found it quite endearing and smile crept on her face.

"I was thinking if you'd wanna go on a drive or something?" Lando asked, his voice shy yet genuine.

Caught off guard, Eli found herself lost for words, but before she could respond, Lando, in his usual easy-going manner, joked about showing up unannounced and that he could just be on his way, breaking the silence with a laugh.

"A drive sounds great," she finally managed, smiling back, and Lando's eyes squinted slightly as his smile widened.

"Let me just change real quick," Eli continued, opening the door wider to lead Lando upstairs to her apartment.

She dipped into her room and hurriedly picked out a change of clothes, Lando stood in her living room awkwardly, glancing around the room.

"You play?" he questioned and she assumed he was referring to the piano.

"Not really, it came with the house," the lie she used not too long ago with Charles rolled off her tongue.

"Shall we?" he asked, as he noticed her walking out of her room. She nodded along, curious as to what today will bring, with feelings of anticipation and a glimmer of excitement.

As they cruised along the coast, the Mediterranean Sea unfurled before them. The sun-kissed waters danced, the gentle waves crashing onto shore. She rolled the windows down and leaned slightly against the edge, taking in the breath-taking views that seemed to stretch endlessly, feeling a sense of freedom in the open road and the vastness of the sea. Lando took his eyes of the road for a moment and glanced over at her, a contented smile playing on his lips, as if he cherished these moments of shared silence as much as conversation. "Not a bad view right?" he remarked, his eyes gleaming with quiet enthusiasm.

They eventually reach a small French town just outside of Monaco. Lando pulled the car to a stop, and quickly got out, jogging to the other side to open the door for Eli before she could even unbuckle her seatbelt. "Thanks," she smiled warmly looking up at him, appreciating his kind gesture. As they strolled through the charming streets, the alluring strains of a violin beckoned Eli's attention. She stopped in her tracks, her gaze swept over the nearby buildings until she pinpointed the source. A figure stood by an open window, their movements graceful, lost in the melody they drew from the violin. It was a moment of pure serenity, the music intertwining with the town's tranquil ambiance, and Eli found herself drawn to it, feeling an inexplicable tug on her heart— perhaps one day she'll be lucky to feel so happy again with music. Lando noticed her captivation and followed her gaze. Something about the way she was looking at the violinist told him that there was much more about the piano tucked away in her home than she revealed.