Chapter 12: The Fifth Pearl

As Eli wrapped up her remaining days in London, Lando flew off to to Budapest for the Hungarian Grand Prix. She was already planning to head back to Monaco, since there were only two more race weekends left before the season's summer break— Hungary and Spa. But Charles, being as generous as ever, suggested she join for the Hungarian leg since it wasn't a considerable distance after all. She agreed, and arrived in Budapest in the middle of the race weekend on the day of qualifying.

She finally arrived at the bustling paddock, after her flight and dropping her stuff off at the hotel, and the vibrant energy of the F1 atmosphere felt increasingly familiar. She met Charles at the Ferrari hospitality and they sat outside, catching up over some coffee before the qualifying session began. Their conversation was momentarily interrupted by the arrival of Lando, strolling by as he made his way towards his team's hospitality. Charles, ever jovial, waved him over to join them without missing a beat. Amidst their casual exchanges, they talked about the concert Lando took Eli to back in Austria. "Mate, you should hear her on the piano, she's really good," he slips. The mention, although so casual, struck Lando differently. It dawned on him that Eli had never played the piano for him, despite their shared moments, but apparently had for Charles. This realisation, coupled with Charles being the reason why she has been able to attend the races so far and was here again, subtly unsettled Lando's thoughts. He abruptly excuses himself and walked away from the Ferrari hospitality, leaving both Eli and Charles in confusion.

Qualifying soon began and each team sent their drivers out, all in hopes to clock the best lap times. In the midst of it all, Lando's focus wavered, his mind clouded with thoughts of Eli and Charles. He still managed to end the day well, qualifying third, but his mistakes on the track did not go unnoticed. Jon, his performance coach, noted Lando's Jon, his astute performance coach, noted Lando's uncharacteristic distraction. "Hey, mate, what's going on?" Jon inquired, observing the driver's subtle lapses in focus. "You seem a bit off today." Lando's response was evasive, "It's nothing... just some stuff on my mind," he confessed, a touch of hesitancy in his tone. Not wanting to prod further, Jon just pat him on his back and said, "Whatever it is, just take some time tonight to clear your head, and come tomorrow, be ready to be at your 100%."

Meanwhile, Carlos, ever perceptive, also noticed Lando's demeanour and decided to find him at the end of the day. Approaching him, Carlos asked in a reassuring tone. "Everything okay?" Lando hesitated for a moment before opening up to Carlos— they had forged quite a strong bond back when they were teammates after all. "Yeah... Eli," Lando admitted, his voice carrying the weight of his thoughts. "It's about her and Charles... I don't know if I'm overthinking things or if there's really something between them." Carlos listened attentively, his expression reflecting understanding. "Mate, I've known Charles for some time now, and I can vouch for him. There's nothing going on between him and Eli, at least from what I've seen. You should talk to her about it, clear the air." Relieved to have someone to confide in, Lando nodded, contemplating the idea of addressing his concerns directly with Eli.

The hours slipped by and nightfall arrived. Eli was lounging in her hotel room when her phone buzzed. It was a text from Lando asking her to meet him at the hotel's rooftop garden. Eli had noticed his absence throughout the paddock earlier after he abruptly left their conversation, so she was intrigued as to why he was now asking to meet her. Upon reaching the top, the panoramic view of the city in a dazzling array of lights sprawled before her. Lando stood by the edge, his gaze fixed on the skyline, and she approached him slowly. Not taking his eyes off the view, he spoke in a soft voice, "I'm going to say some things now, but before I do, just promise you'll focus solely on the view ahead, okay?" It was an odd request, but she obliged without comprehension.

Lando hesitated for a moment, the words hovering on the edge of his lips, as if unsure of their reception. His gaze drifted to the cityscape below, the twinkling lights painting an ethereal scene. It was then he finally dared to share the thoughts that had occupied his mind for longer than he dared admit. He initiated with an apology for his distant behaviour earlier and proceeded to unravel the tangled emotions within him— explaining that seeing Eli with Charles and then hearing about how he's heard her play the piano stirred up a mix of emotions within him. "That's when I realised that it's because I like you," he confessed. This caused Eli's head to turn towards him, not believing that those words had just left his mouth. "You promised keep looking ahead,", he reminded gently, before continuing, "I've tried to brush it off, ignore it, thinking it's just a friendship we share, but it's starting to feel like more than that, Eli. There's something about you—your laugh, your way of looking at things—that just gets to me." He paused, seeking words that could articulate the complexity of his feelings. "It's like, every time we're together, it feels different. And not just because of the races or time we spend together... I find myself thinking about you when you're not around. Wondering how your day's been or if you're okay, he admitted, his tone carrying a mix of hesitation and longing."

"I like you, Eli," and with that final statement, he finally turned to look at her.

The vulnerability in his confession lingered in the air, the rawness of his emotions laid bare for her to see. His feelings had grown beyond mere friendship, evolving into something deeper, something that had caught him off guard yet had rooted itself firmly within him. Eli found herself at a loss for an immediate response. Lando, sensing her hesitation, reassured her, "You don't have to answer right away. Just think about it." And with that, he mustered up the courage to leave tender goodnight kiss on her forehead, like the night after her birthday, and retreated to his hotel room, leaving Eli alone with her thoughts.

With her mind swirling with thoughts, Eli found herself by the hotel's swimming pool under the soft glow of the moonlight. She sat on its edge, her feet gently playing in the water as she hoped to seek some form of solace. Eli grappled with conflicting emotions, torn between her duty as Lando's guardian and the blossoming affection he harboured for her and vice versa. The query lingered in her mind: could a guardian harbour romantic sentiments for the one they were meant to protect?

Charles caught sight of her from his balcony and he made his way down to join her by the pool side. "May I?" he asked softly as he approached her. Eli could instantly recognise his voice and just nodded without looking up. "What's wrong?" he asked, his voice gentle yet laced with concern, "I can tell something's up." With a sigh, Eli opened up about the conflicting thoughts that plagued her. "What happens after the last pearl darkens?" she questioned, voiced tinged with uncertainty, "Will I just... disappear?" Charles took a moment, his expression pensive as he attempted to offer guidance. "I wish I had an answer," he admitted with a sigh, his gaze focused on the stars reflected in the pool. "For me, things returned to normal. But for you... it might be different, especially considering your accident." Eli just nodded slowly. "Where's all this coming from?" he asked, slightly taken aback by why she was thinking about all of this suddenly. She decided to tell Charles about what had just happened with Lando on the rooftop, that he had just confessed his feelings for her.

"I mean, I can't say I didn't see it coming," he started and she shot him a look that read 'Really Charles?'. Realising it wasn't the best time for teasing, he raised his arms up in surrender. Leaning back, he looked up at the starlit night, "I know things are slightly more complicated, but sometimes, focusing too much on the uncertainties ahead prevents us from appreciating the present. You've been tasked with a unique responsibility, but it doesn't mean you should deny yourself happiness in the now. If your present includes feelings for Lando, why restrict yourself from exploring that?"

After the night of confessions and dilemmas, race day dawned and the circuit buzzed with energy once more. Lando had managed to regain his focus and navigated the track with determination, pushing himself to the limits once more. And as the checkered flag waved, the end of the gripping race landed him with a podium finish— a remarkable second place. The roar of the engines subsided and the familiar chaos of a Formula 1 race end erupted. The cars of the top three drivers of the day, glimmering with the sheen of hard-fought battles, peeled into the pit lane. Victorious drivers emerged, propelled by adrenaline and triumph, enveloped by the vibrant sea of team colours. Lando leapt from his car, the air thick with cheers and applause as he ran towards his crew with extended arms. The ecstatic engineers and tire-smudge mechanics drowned him in hugs, pats on his back, and taps on his helmet.

And with that, another pearl darkened. Lando's heartfelt confession, the release of pent-up emotions, and the unburdening of his feelings had not only given him clarity but also fuelled his focused drive on the track, symbolising a pivotal moment in their intertwined destinies. The darkened pearl stood as a testament to the evolving bond between them, signifying not just fulfilled protection but the emergence of deeper connections, marking the halfway point of a celestial journey.