Chapter 17: A Fragile Thread

Over a month had already passed since the challenging Qatar Grand Prix, marked by the darkening of the second last bead on Eli's bracelet. Yet, the impending finale loomed ever closer, a constant reminder of the limited time she had left. Each passing day seemed to intensify her inner turmoil, a conflict between the duties she bore and the emotions she harboured. The nearly completed bracelet seemed to echo a countdown, ticking away the moments she could spend alongside Lando. This inevitability created a pervasive sense of unease and heart was torn between conflicting desires. On one hand, she grappled with the growing distance she instinctively created from Lando, a self-imposed barrier to protect herself from further entanglement. She didn't want to deepen the bond, fearing its abrupt end with the last bead darkening. Yet, an undeniable force drew her back— a relentless pull to be close to Lando, to safeguard him, and an intense longing to remain by his side indefinitely. Despite her attempts to create distance, circumstances, and perhaps her own feelings, inevitably brought her back. The responsibility to protect him was ingrained in her, and her yearning to be with him only seemed to intensify with each passing day. The looming uncertainty about what would come after the final bead darkened only added to her distress, intensifying her internal struggle as the countdown to the inevitable conclusion of her guardian duties continued. This inner conflict, the push and pull of duty versus emotion, weighed heavily on Eli's heart.

But of course, the Formula 1 season surged ahead without pause. The team's journey swept them across continents and racing circuits blurred into each other. From the pulsating energy of Austin's circuit to the electrifying atmosphere of Mexico City's racetrack, and then onto the high-speed adrenaline rush of Brazil's Grand Prix, Lando's performance stood as a testament to his growth as a driver. He had consistently showcased his prowess, either gracing the podium with triumphant finishes or securing crucial points for McLaren even in races where the top step eluded him.

As the season reached its penultimate race in Las Vegas, Lando's birthday emerged just a few days prior to the race weekend's kick-off. However, the usual fanfare and extravagant celebrations were overshadowed by the upcoming race. Instead, a more intimate affair unfolded— a cosy dinner became the choice, with close-knit members from the team, a few fellow drivers coming together and of course Eli, to mark the occasion. The ambiance was warm, despite the underlying pressure of the racing season, like a momentary pause in the whirlwind of competition. Sharing laughs and anecdotes, it was a serene gathering amid the tense schedules— a fleeting calmness before the storm, a moment of respite amidst the relentless pace of the sport.

The anticipation of the race night had set the atmosphere abuzz. As the two McLaren cars pulled out of the garage to get ready on the grid, Eli noticed a McLaren staff member carrying boxes of signed merchandise out of Lando and Oscar's respective driver rooms. She quickly got up from her seat and offered to help them with carrying some boxes to their hospitality. It was a small contribution, but one she eagerly offered, wanting to be of use. However, this brief diversion led her to miss the start of the race, but she could still hear the engines roaring through the brightly lit streets of Las Vegas. As she made her way back to the garage, an odd tension lingered in the air. The vibrant energy that usually filled the McLaren space was replaced by an unsettling stillness. She couldn't quite place it, but the atmosphere seemed almost eerie. Then, as her gaze flickered toward the screens showing the live feed of the race, she noticed an orange car crashed into the barriers. A quick realisation struck her, and panic surged through her veins. Was it Oscar? Or worse, was it Lando? The distinctive serpentine pattern wrapping around the helmet confirmed her fears— it was Lando.

The screens played the replay of the crash, freezing her in a moment of disbelief. She could feel her heart pounding against her chest as she watched. Her eyes were glued to the screen, tracking every movement— Lando approached at an incredibly high speed, the car's balance getting disrupted, and in an instant, it spun out of control. The unsettling screech of tires rung in her ears as his car careened toward the concrete wall. But it didn't stop there. The car ricocheted off the wall, its momentum carrying it further, and it slid, seemingly in slow motion before crashing into the barriers ahead, sending debris flying in a chaotic display of shards and sparks. The Las Vegas night, which moments ago glimmered with the promise of speed and glory, now bore witness to a stark contrast— a crumpled car, static against the barriers, smoke and the acrid scent of burnt rubber lingering in the air. The impact was jarring, resonating through the night with a gut-wrenching crash that echoed across the circuit. Eli's breath hitched as she watched the car collide with the concrete wall, the violent impact etching an indelible image in her mind. In that harrowing moment, every instinct in her screamed for him, a sense of helplessness consuming her as she witnessed the frightening turn of events. In the garage, the tension was intense. The silence was deafening, broken only by the worried inquiries made through the team radio. Seconds stretched into agonisingly long moments, time becoming distorted in her anxious state. The lack of immediate response intensified her apprehension, leaving her feeling helpless and overwhelmed. Finally, the team radio crackled to life, conveying the news that Lando was indeed okay. She watched as he emerged from the car, being carefully escorted into the medical car to be assessed at the medical centre. From the McLaren garage, Eli felt a sense of helplessness, an overwhelming fear for Lando's safety washing over her. The images of the crash continued to haunt her, the sight of his car hitting the barriers etched vividly in her mind.

Trapped in a whirlwind of worry, Eli's thoughts tangled in knots of fear and uncertainty. The race resumed, but her focus was elsewhere, her mind fixated on Lando. Sitting in his driver room, she clutched her hands tightly, her legs quivering with pent-up nerves. She couldn't bear the thought of staying idle, not knowing what was happening. In a bid to escape the stifling atmosphere, Eli stepped out of the garage. However, she collided with a figure draped in a crimson race suit— Charles. Despite just celebrating his podium finish, he rushed to her side, his concern evident in his eyes as he offered solace and support. He immediately enveloped her in a hug and despite him being soaked in sweat and champagne, she fell into his embrace, succumbing to the overwhelming emotions. Tears streamed down her cheeks, her shoulders heaving with the weight of her distress. With a gentle touch, Charles rested a reassuring hand on Eli's head, his fingers delicately grazing her hair. "Shhh, shh," he whispered softly, his voice a calming presence amid the storm of emotions. "It's okay, Eli. He'll be okay." He noticed a crowd gathering and guided her back into Lando's driver room, away fro the prying eyes of the public and media. 

In a moment of anger and upset, Eli unloaded her raw emotions onto Charles, her voice a mixture of frustration and sorrow. "I should have been there, Charles," she exclaimed, the anguish evident in her tone. "I should have protected him, but I wasn't there!" Her words were laced with self-blame and anguish, her distress palpable as she grappled with the reality of being unable to shield Lando from harm. Charles, ever the calming presence, responded with a steadying tone. "Eli, sometimes, things happen beyond our control," he offered, attempting to console her. "Maybe it wasn't the time. Maybe, just maybe, this was meant to be a part of a bigger plan. You can't blame yourself for things that are beyond your control." She looked up him, eyes red and full of sadness, "You know what's worse?", a slight chuckle leaving her mouth laced with bitterness. "here's this small part of me that wonders if it was... good in some way that I wasn't there to protect him. Because... there's only one bead left before it ends, Charles. Maybe... maybe it bought me more time with him.", her words a whispered admission amid her evident distress. Charles, with a soft and empathetic gaze, listened attentively as Eli poured out her turmoil. His reassuring presence remained steady, offering solace amidst the whirlwind of emotions. "Eli," he began gently, "sometimes, our paths cross for a reason. And sometimes, they stay intertwined even when we think they might not. Your connection with Lando, it's deeper than just those beads. Perhaps there's more to this connection than we understand. And sometimes, fate has its plans, even beyond our understanding." His words held a wisdom, a calmness that sought to pacify her tangled thoughts. "If there's one thing I've learned," Charles continued, his tone earnest, "it's that endings often mark the beginning of something new. It's not always about the beads on your bracelet, Eli. Sometimes, it's about the bond you share and the impact you've had. Whatever happens, your presence in his life has meant something significant."

Their conversation was interrupted by a knock on the door, and Jon entered, bearing an update on Lando's condition. "He's okay, but we're going to send him to the hospital for more precautionary checks. But he's okay." Jon updated them on Lando's condition. He turned to Eli, "He's already enroute, but I thought I'd swing by and ask if you want to come? I'm just about to hop in a car." Charles urged Eli to go, and she swiftly expressed her gratitude for his support before rushing out with Jon, her heart racing with a mix of relief and anxiety, eager to be by Lando's side. For now, she had to put all the emotions she poured onto Charles aside and put them aside, and just be there for Lando.