1.3

"ρɾҽƚƚყ-ҽყҽԃ"

𝐒𝐞𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝐧𝐝, 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟐

  Saiph Black was a total mess. She looked horrible. Her eyes were puffy from crying, and she had deep purple bags under her eyes from not sleeping the night before. She body ached from the bruising left over from her brutal assault of her own body. She got up before her roommate did, ensuring to be as quiet as possible. She got ready. She was well aware that they'd already started serving breakfast and it'd be the best time to go since only a handful would already be awake.

  Saiph made her way back to the Great Hall and just as she was about to go into the hall she was pulled into a nearby corridor. She was going to scream but a hand went over her mouth. She thrashed about until she heard a familiar voice, "Blimey, Saiph! It's just me!"

  Finally, she was let go. She turned around to see Sirius' cheerful face. Saiph looked at her brother unimpressed.

  "What?" Sirius said not understanding why his sister seemed so upset. Saiph sighed and just waited for him to tell her what was so important he needed to scare her so badly for.

  "Oh right. Congrats on Hufflepuff I always knew you were special like me," Sirius said, flipping his hair. Saiph looked at him, her eyes gloomy.

  "Special isn't the word I'd use to describe you," another voice called out from behind Sirius. Saiph and Sirius turned to look at the voice which happened to belong to a certain boy with glasses. Sirius looked offended and began fighting with James.

  Someone else wandered up to Saiph sticking out a hand to shake, Saiph looked up and saw it was the boy with scars, Remus. She hesitantly reached out a hand. His skin was rough, it had quite a few scars on it, but Saiph didn't mind.

  "I'm Remus Lupin," Remus said, smiling at the girl as he shook her hand.

  "Saiph Black," Saiph softly stated. Her voice came out shaking and raspy with all the crying she did last night. Remus smiled at her sympathetically. He could tell she was extremely upset.

  "The boy Sirius is arguing with is James Potter," Remus explained. Saiph nodded, her hair slightly blocking the view of her face. Remus' expression filled with remnants of pity.

  Remus may not know the girl, but Sirius had rambled enough about the young girl for Remus to be aware that this behaviour was out of the ordinary for the girl. Sirius always described the girl to be like a ray of sunshine, but right now all Remus saw was dark clouds. He hoped those clouds would clear so he could see that bright sun Sirius spoke of.

  "Hi! I'm Peter Pettigrew," the pudgy blonde said. Saiph gave him a tight smile. Both of the boys gave one another a meaningful look, they could both tell the girl was quite displeased. They had a feeling of what caused it, her sorting. Sirius had seemed ecstatic when they returned to their dorm the previous night, but they all saw how the young girl didn't interact with anyone else apart of her house. Sirius told his friends last night how he would make it his mission to ensure his sister would enjoy her school years.

  The trio turned to look at the still arguing Sirius and James. Remus and Peter watched the two with amused looks on both of their faces. However, Saiph just sighed and turned around continuing her walk into the Great Hall.

  When the boys finally stopped arguing Sirius turned to the other two boys. His head cocked to the side asking, "Where'd Saiph go?"

  "She's right he-" Remus trailed off after not spotting the girl. The four boys looked at each other, confusion gracing their features, unsure of when the younger student left their sides.

  Saiph walked into the Great Hall, hesitating when she saw the Sytherin table. There was nothing the young girl wished for more than to be someone sitting at that table right now. She had hoped the day before was just a mere nightmare, and that she would be welcomed at the Sytherin table this morning. However, that hope was crushed when she saw the few people who sat at the Slytherin table giving her harsh glares. Saiph felt dejected and allowed her hair to curtain her face while she walked to the Hufflepuff table. She sat on the bench keeping her face towards her lap where her hands were clenched together, her sharp fingernails digging into her palms.

  Saiph only looked up when she heard the familiar swoop of owls, she spotted her family's owl immediately. Seeing the bright red envelope clutched in the owl's talons. The minute the howler was placed before her she grabbed it and sprinted out of the Great Hall. She sped past her brother and his friends. Sirius tried calling out to her, but she was panicked. He caught sight of the familiar coloured envelope and the four troublemakers shared troubled expressions, unsure of what to do.

  Saiph was greeted by the lush greenery as she ran outside, luckily, she didn't notice any of her peers anywhere near as she opened the howler. Quickly the howler began to scream with fury, her mother's vicious voice piercing her ears. Saiph winced and kept her head down as the howler screamed the cruel words her mother spouted. Saiph's eyes watered but she did not allow herself to cry. Mother would get more furious whenever Saiph cried during a scolding. Saiph refused to disappoint her mother further.

  Saiph silently made a promise to herself as she watched the howler tear itself up, that she would never disappoint her mother again.

  Saiph walked back into the castle, her face void of any and all emotion. The sunshine was now shielded by dark clouds.