Some Questions, Some Answers

Arc 1: Incomprehensible Foe

Night and day, Sweet and sour, Contrasts like these are omnipresent in life. So it was no surprise to Anastasia that that was true now. The coldness of the night was nicely contrasted by the warmth around her, the warmth of her husband's embrace. He had placed his head on her shoulder as he slept lightly. This was not the first time she had seen him fall asleep so quickly. She smiled at how easy it was for him to doze off; she could also sleep so easily with him here beside her.

She shifted slightly to look up at the carriage's ceiling. It was still dark outside, but the moonlight still shined from the small window near the door. They were always busy during the daytime, yet now they weren't particularly. After all, there wasn't much they could do during travel, especially when their status and companions were taken into consideration. That meant that right now, she had nothing else to do but enjoy this quiet moment with him.

Anastasia closed her eyes, letting out a soft sigh. She felt warm, comfortable, and safe; something she might, or might not feel in the future. One can not know what the future brings, but one can fight it. She is sure of that, and she is sure of her capabilities. But still, doubt remains.

Just like with her husband her family abandoned her. But unlike with Subaru, hers wasn't a violent one. If anything, one can argue that she abandoned them as much as they did her.

In a traumatic time, she simply couldn't have found the strength to return, but maybe now she should.

They once again remember her, and they have done no harm to her husband or her at any time.

Still, she knows Subaru wouldn't approve of this, he is afraid. Perhaps rightly so, but she still desires to try. Unlike Emilia's, her camp had not betrayed them, or more accurately, nowhere as bad as Emilia's did.

They did not torture them, they did not falsely accuse, they did nothing.

Doing nothing was indeed their biggest sin. They didn't search for her, they didn't try to find her, they didn't even notice her disappearance. It hurt her a lot that her family did this, but she can understand. Had at the time they tried, she would have almost certainly refused them. Pretended she didn't know them, that she didn't care. That is true, but so is true that she wasn't of the right mind at the time. If she was honest with herself, she would admit that she required a firm hand when all of that was happening, a strong and authoritative voice to guide her back on the right path. That is what she would do if she found a young woman or man in a similar predicament.

For that reason, she is always confused when she thinks of the past. She can't find a logical way to explain the fact that everything ended this well. That she is happily married to this wonderful man, of whom in the past she didn't have a particularly high opinion. She never disliked him, which is what she tells herself in order to justify her past thinking. She doesn't need to, of course. Her husband had done some stupid things, for another woman no less. But, she wasn't without sin either, she has done questionable things, and said what she shouldn't have said. But, in the end, it doesn't matter. They have each other, and that is what matters the most to her.

How two absolute lunatics were able to get themselves back, for the most part, to normal, and make themselves a happy marriage was a nice question. But the answer wasn't that important at least not to her. She is sure that many in the capital, and the kingdom at large will ponder this question for her once they know the truth.

"Hm?"

It was then that she felt something strange. Something that made her grip on Subaru's arm tightens, causing him to stir. She opened her eyes slowly and looked over at him. "Subaru, you're awake..."