Turbulent Times (2)

"WHY DID WE LEAVE? WE SHOULD HAVE BEATEN SOME SENSE INTO THOSE GEEZERS!"

The poor staff of the inn could only shiver as they avoided that part of the structure. The shouts although belonged to an early teen boy, they were nevertheless strong enough to make the walls shake. Or that is at the very least the impression that the servants got.

When they first heard that the royal selection candidate will be renting a large part of the structure they were ecstatic. It is a great honor to serve such people, especially one as lady Emilia.

While the woman herself wasn't particularly known for her merit, the rest of her followers were. A cunning merchant that acts as a diplomat, and apparently manages the internal affairs. Strong fighter in the form of the currently shouting boy. But, the one most known and respected, was her deceased knight Subaru Natsuki.

The tale of this tragic knight was well known by the public. Story of a young boy without known origins who battled and defeated monsters plaguing this world. He was the modern generation Sword demon. The young man who out of love for the woman he served conquered impossible challenges.

But tragedies in their name imply an unhappy end. While it is unknown if this hero's last thoughts were of happiness or sadness, his tale brought forth the latter to anybody who listens to his story.

While protecting the city of Pristella from the witch cult had the unfortunate luck of succumbing to the Gluttony Sin Archbishop's malicious desire. As a consequence, his name got eaten and he was forgotten by all. That is where most would think his story ends. Without his name and purpose in life, one would think that he would simply give up. Run away and hide, make another life for himself.

But he didn't. When the insidious Archbishop of Pride attacked the capital in order to kill lady Emilia sir Subaru came and defended her. He protected his lady, staying true to the vow he gave. The vow that even she forgot.

Such a thing was seen as quite romantic by the people of Lagunica. Which made the tragedy that much bitter.

The sage council informed the people that sir Subaru died fighting Pride. It is not known how exactly, but it is most likely that during their confrontation Pride inflicted upon sir Subaru a mortal wound. So he died shortly after he struck Pride down.

The efforts to determine what had happened were further frustrated by the lack of any bodies. Neither Pride's nor sir Subaru's was found. The only evidence of their existence that was found was Pride's cloak and sir Subaru's whip. They were found on the outskirts of the capital, and from there people came to the conclusion regarding this hero's demise.

It is believed that after forcing Pride to flee, sir Subaru pursued him to the city's outskirts, at which point the battle happened. Where both he and Pride lost their lives. Although there are some who believe that Subaru isn't dead but merely hiding, but those people are either children or fools.

The people in general were somewhat left unsure when it came to Emilia. On one hand, she is the object of this great affection and admiration by such an esteemed figure. But on the other hand, she did cause this same esteemed hero much pain. Undoubtedly, being forgotten by the person to whom you devoted your life must bring much pain.

But, considering his final act the great knight himself didn't seem to have any resentment towards lady Emilia. So most people decided that they shouldn't either.

But while the staff won't judge they will most definitely stay away. At least until the esteemed guests had calmed down.

" DON'T BE STUPID GARF! WE CAN'T JUST ATTACK THE PEOPLE RULING THE COUNTRY." The green merchant calmed himself down a bit and added, " No matter how despicable they are."