Turbulent Times (1)

The room exuded a feeling of peace. The calmness that could extinguish even the most heated of arguments. But yet it wasn't true.

Just like the country in general, a feeling and façade of peace and normalcy were kept, but the truth was still evident. At least for those who desired to look for it.

" Costuul and surrounding... Nothing."

" Picoutatte and surroundings... Nothing."

A calm voice could be heard in the room. It carried authority in equal amounts as it carried wisdom. One knew the moment they would hear that it could only belong to a man of high stature. They would be correct for there were few other words that could be used to describe Lord Miklotov.

" Flanders and surroundings..." this time the sage hesitated a little before giving the unsatisfactory answer," Nothing."

" At the very least there is not much left for us to do." Tiredly Bordeaux responded, " We can just continue searching until we find her."

" For as long as that is even possible." Miklotov retorted.

The situation for these two men, and the upper echelon of the government in general, couldn't be described as advantageous. The more time passes the more likely it is for their deception to be seen through. Such assessment wasn't only logical, but evident as well. The half-elf's newest attempt at getting her way a couple of days ago most definitely left an influence on the men.

While her demands were expectantly rejected. Her tenacity nevertheless left an important message to the sages. That the time was slowly running out.

Although Emilia herself lacks the ability to cause them any damage. She could broadcast the sage's failures to the people of Lagunica, but that would cost her, as much if not more, that the council. It is impossible for the half-elf, or any of the royal camps for that matter, to accuse the council without revealing their own sins to the public.

No, what the incident did is to test the longevity of the ruse. Emilia has an emotional interest in the case, so it is natural for her to lash out first. But, for her to be the first others must follow, and that is exactly what will happen.

It is inevitable, they don't doubt that. First, come the ones involved and in a couple of months, or maybe even a single month it will be apparent to the people that something is happening.

The hardship of the council doesn't come from the fact that they are hiding Anastasia's disappearance, but from the fact that they are hiding something in general. That is to say, once the population suspects something is being hidden there is a greater possibility for them to remember Anastasia.

In essence, they are trying to preserve the false sense of peace in the country.

" Sir Felix reports that Crusch's condition is getting worse." Changing the topic to something that they could possibly intervene in, Bordeaux said those words.

" That is indeed unfortunate, but we can't do much." Miklotov plainly spoke.

At this Bordeaux chuckled a bit, " How ironic. For months, we thought we had a possible solution to that in a form of a Sin Archbishop." He stopped a bit to gather his thoughts. The entire ordeal always makes him strangely sad. He didn't particularly like sir Subaru, but something about the situation stung a bit. " Only for it to turn out that it was just that foolish boy."

" That was a rather strange incident indeed." Miklotov looked around the room, almost as if he was unsure. Or maybe uncomfortable. " The dragon maidens decisions that day will always leave me confused."

Bordeaux nodded his head in confirmation. " They are truly strange women, but they never struck me as that aggressive." He shrugged his shoulders as he sipped his wine. " Perhaps the battle, and what happened the head Karsten had them particularly riled up."

" Perhaps." Miklotov simply answered.

Temporary silence filled the room. The two sages were finished with the "formal" part of the meeting so now they could simply enjoy each other's presence. These two old friends even from the time of the demi-human war partook in this semi-formal work ethic. That was simply a part of their friendship.

" What happened to that boy was truly saddening. For some reason, it always leaves that effect on me." Bordeaux calmly spoke in order to break the calming silence.

" He did attack the capital. So don't make it out like he is completely innocent." Miklotov wisely responded.

Bordeaux just shrugged as he simply retorted, " As I said, I just feel like that."

Miklotov decided to add, so in the same vain he made a statement, " You know I feel bad for the half-elf."

" How so." Bordeaux raised an eyebrow.

Miklotov sighed, " She is madly in love with the boy. But he is either dead, or doesn't want anything to do with her."

" Yes, but that is because of her own actions." Bordeaux plainly retorted.

" Sure, but you can't tell me you were indifferent when you first saw her like that."

His friend was right. For all of Bordeaux's bosting, the first time when he saw that empty eyes of hers, he felt quite a bit of sympathy for her. Sure, she was responsible for what had happened. One could argue that what she is experiencing is simple justice, karma. Reap what you sowed type of situation. But still, on his most basic, most human side he could feel just a little bit of sympathy for her.

" I guess you are right. But she is still at fault for what happened to her."

Miklotov might have answered him if it wasn't for an unexpected knock on the door.

Bordeaux, in whose office they currently were, looked at Miklotov shortly before acting. Seeing that his guest wasn't expecting anyone, he with a confident voice responded. " Come in."

The person that entered was a young teen, around fourteen years of age. Bordeaux recognized the boy, he was a young butler in training that Marcos keeps around. Nevertheless, it was quite strange for him to come here, especially considering the time.

" Lord Bordeaux... Lord Miklotov... Sir Marcos wants to tell you something..." The boy is clearly nervous about having to speak with somebody so esteemed like sages stuttered a lot. But, the two sages were, nevertheless able to understand him. Although that didn't stop Bordeaux from being himself.

" Come on kid, no need to be worried. Just tell us what Marcos wants." Unfortunately, his usually grumpy demeanor made it so that his honest message wasn't the most effective. But, the young boy carried his duty nevertheless.

" Sir Marcos wants you to come to his office as soon as possible."

The two were surprised at this, but they didn't let it show. Miklotov with a much more gentle voice spoke to the boy.

" Very well. Now go and inform sir Marcus that we will see him soon."

The boy confirmed and followed the command, albeit somewhat clumsily.

" Nice kid." Bordeaux simply commented before getting to the point, " What do you think Marcus wants?"

Miklotov as unsure as Bordeaux simply observed, " I don't know. But if he is calling for us now it must be important."

" Probably." Bordeaux not knowing what else to say decided to finish the discussion they held before being interrupted.

" Regarding the Karsten, half-elf, the Vollachian woman... Our sympathy or lack thereof doesn't really matter." He looked at his glass of wine, the color of the drink in his mind somehow fitted well with what he spoke.

" It doesn't matter because. In the end. It is of no relevance which one of those women wins the selection."

He chugged the rest of the wine in one gulp and put the now empty glass onto the table nearby.