Good Allies

He was given a room to rest in. It was nice and appeared spacious. Not like Natsuki Subaru cared to think about it.

He was lying in his new bed and thinking of what just happened.

Truth be told, nothing much. After Anastasia confirmed his stay here, she quickly retired to her quarter with the triplets following. She plans to make an announcement tonight. That is what she told the people around her.

For the first time in a while, Subaru found himself ignorant of his wife's immediate intentions. He suspected what she wanted, and was fairly sure he was correct, but Ana told him nothing directly.

It irked a bit that his wife just left him alone, it truly did. Yet Subaru wasn't bothered with the feeling, on the contrary, he let it flourish. He knows his woman well, he knows what inevitably will happen. Therefore, the more he is annoyed now, the better he will feel when all unravels.

Just thinking of it made him chuckle. Having nothing better to do, Subaru dropped onto his bed. He enjoyed the softens of it, after a long journey in a carriage, having a proper bed to rest felt like heaven. He planned to take a nap, but a sudden knock on the door prevented him.

" Subaru, It's me, Julius. Are you awake? May I come in?"

Julius's voice, like it often did, irritated the black-haired boy. The knight still made sure not to be too loud, so as not to wake up his friend if he truly slept. For a moment Subaru thought of ignoring the knight, pretending to be asleep as a child would when their parents came to check on them. But, he didn't do it. ' Would be too rude at this moment ' the boy thought.

" Sure! Come in!" he sat himself on the edge of the bed as he spoke.

Shortly after, the door opened and he saw his old friend before him.

" I am sorry to infringe on your rest." his voice was almost meek as he spoke. " I just wanted to talk with you about what happened since..." Julius broke eye contact looking down a bit.

" Ana and I lost our names," Subaru added, seeing that Julius's' shame was getting the better of him.

" Yes, about that." Julius nodded before adding, " Of course, I'll gladly answer any inquiry you may have."

Subaru, truth be told, felt no need to hide anything in particular from Julius. The pathetic state that the 'greatest of knights' fell to caused genuine pity in Subaru. Even from what little he had seen, it felt wrong to immediately jump back into the dynamic they had before. But, Ana seems to want to keep their marriage a secret. Whatever, Subaru will be honest, but vague enough not to reveal too much.

" I'll take you up on that," Subaru answers, trying to appear as cheerful as he can. " You want to know anything in particular, or you want me to start from the beginning."

" You protected Anastasia-sama, didn't you?"

The unusually direct question from Julius took Subaru aback a bit " Well yes but..." He thought a bit, he endangered Ana a few times in the beginning, but all things considered, they were there for each other. " You can say we kept each other safe."

Julius nodded at this, " I understand." He looked a bit disheartened. " Once again, I find myself being outdone by you, Subaru"

Surprised at this, Subaru tried to cheer his friend up. " Oh come on, you're an awesome swordsman, and you're handsome unlike me."

" But you protected my lady, and even saved Emilia-sama from Pride."

Julius could swear that he saw Subaru's eyebrow twitch, at the mention of Emilia. But, that can't be the case, perhaps he just saw things.