Jealousy & Insecurity-Two Boys Spend Time with Their Mummy

Scorpius heard his alarm go off and sat up quickly, his body moving on autopilot as he started his morning routine. The old clock on his wall said it was six, the sun starting to rise outside. He made sure there weren't any wrinkles in his clothes before trying to pat his hair down. Granddad James said they were cursed with unruly hair. He took a deep breath before leaving his room, his face blank as he heard laughter spilling out from Mother's sitting room. He slowly walked by the door, hoping he wouldn't be heard.
"Ah, Scorpius. Come in." He bowed low to Mother's guests, a polite smile already on his face as he greeted them.
"Good morning, Mother." His Mother watched him closely, his pretty green eyes sharp as he looked him over. Mother always looked put together. Today his hair was falling in soft waves around his shoulders, elegant purple robes with gold embroidery hung on his slim frame. Jewels dangled from his ears and hands as he lounged on the chaise, his many friends surrounding him.
"Scorpius, please do something with your hair. I wish you'd grow it out so it wouldn't be so unsightly." He didn't answer, wanting to shout that he didn't want long hair like his Mother. He didn't want to look anything like him. He hoped that he would look more like Father as he grew.
"I apologize, Mother." He said stiffly as someone laughed.
"Leave the boy alone, Hadrian." Mr. Zabini snickered as he rubbed Mother's feet, his gaze warm as he tried to catch his attention, always fawning over him. Scorpius didn't like any of his Mother's special friends.
"Mother, Atticus has been learning piano. Perhaps we could listen to him play later. His teacher said he's a quick learner."
"Scorpius, you are too attached to the boy. As Heir to our Family, you must focus on your own studies." He ground his teeth together before nodding, his face burning as he headed towards the door.
"I didn't dismiss you." A knot rose in the back of his throat as he tried not to cry, knowing it would annoy his Mother more.
"Forgive me, Mother. Father wanted to have breakfast with me." He watched as his face twisted in annoyance, any mention of Father putting his Mother in a sour mood.
"Fine. Leave us." Soft giggles followed him out as he slammed the door shut before hurrying down the hall. He would leave for Hogwarts in a couple of months and his stomach twisted in anxiety as he gently opened his little brother's door.
"Atty, are you up?" He shouldn't have asked, Atticus was sitting on his bed as he waited patiently for him.
"Let's go eat breakfast." He stuck his hand out and Atticus didn't hesitate to take it. He looked him over and bit his lip. How was he supposed to leave him in the Manor by himself? Father worked and Mother did whatever he wanted, barely even looking at Atty most of the time. What if he got lonely?
"Stop thinking so hard, Scorpius." Atticus waved his notebook in front of his face and he rolled his eyes.
"I'm not. I was just thinking about Hogwarts."
"Are you excited?" He had underlined his sentence, a slight bounce in his step.
"Yes. It will be nice to make some friends. I bet I could hide you in my trunk." He offered, wishing he would agree.
"Don't be silly. Mother would miss me." He avoided his gaze, both of them knowing it wasn't true.
"How about pancakes, Atty?" He was already filling his plate, knowing it was his little brother's favorite.
"Do you think Mother would like me more if I could talk?" The sudden question caught him off guard and his fork scraped against his plate, both boys wincing.
"No. I don't think Mother likes anyone." He admitted, unwilling to lie to him. His Mother rarely wanted him around, only calling for him to remind him of his duty to his House. He hated it. He would prefer to be left alone than called like a dog to perform tricks.
"Oh." Atticus was pushing his food around and Scorpius hated how helpless he felt, not knowing how to comfort himself, let alone his sibling.
"Good morning, boys. What are you doing up so early?" His Father looked impressive as he sat beside them, his hands reaching up to ruffle their hair.
"Don't do that, Father. Mother doesn't like it." He snapped, his voice trembling slightly.
"Ah. I'm sorry, Scorpy. Did Mother speak with you this morning?" He hated how gentle his Father looked as he hugged Atticus.
"Yes. He's busy." He spat the word, his sausage taking the brunt of his anger.
"I don't know why you won't make him leave, Father. He doesn't like you and he doesn't like us." He blurted out, knowing it would be useless.
"Your Mother cares for both of you, Scorpius. He just doesn't know how to show it." He wanted to shout and break things but he just nodded silently.
Scorpius was used to holding back his thoughts, venomous green eyes popping into his mind, his mouth going dry as he stood up.
"Father, I told Atticus we could study together. Please have a good day at work." He could feel his Father's heavy gaze as he pulled Atty towards the Library, the double doors providing some relief as they shut behind them.
"Father tries." Atticus wrote, his face pinched as he started pulling books off the shelves.
"I know." He just wished he would try harder. They spent the afternoon holed up in their little corner, trying to avoid their Mother.
"Scorpius, I've been looki-" Mother's voice stopped as he spotted Atticus sitting next to him.
"Atticus, what are you doing?" His voice was mean as he clutched the lady's arm, her face lighting up at his tone.
"I was studying, Mother." Atticus held up his notebook, his palm sweaty as he clutched his hand underneath the table.
"What's wrong, boy? Cat got your tongue?" Mother's lips curled up in amusement and he almost looked happy as he snatched the notebook away.
"If you have something to say, you will speak."
His eyes filled with tears as he opened his mouth before closing it, his face turning red in embarrassment.
"Mother, I heard that Grandmother was hosting a tea party. It's odd that you didn't get an invitation." He was lying through his teeth, making sure he had his attention as he let out a screech.
"Of course that old hag wouldn't invite me! How dare she? I am Consort Malfoy! I could have her removed from the Family registry." His Mother stormed out, the lady trying to soothe his rage.
"Don't listen to him, Atticus. Mother is an idiot." He held him close.
"Mother is right. Something's wrong with me." The paper was wet from his tears as he wrote, his shoulders shaking as he didn't make a sound.
"There's nothing wrong with you! When we get older, we'll find a better Mother." He swore.
Scorpius woke with a start, the moon hanging in the sky outside his window.
He tumbled out of bed, a strange urgency filling him.
"Mummy?" He whispered as he pushed open the door, short hair poking out from beneath the thick comforter.
"Scorpy? Is something wrong?" He asked, already getting up to look him over. His hair stuck out on one side and he fought the strange urge to laugh.
"I'm sorry for bothering you." He felt awkward now that he was awake. He was too old to be running to his parents room for comfort.
"You didn't bother me. Did you have a bad dream? I'm rather glad you woke me up. I was just dreaming of Dumbledore in a tutu." Mummy said, his nose wrinkling in disbelief.
"I was dreaming of Mother." He confessed, his insides jumbled as he dug his hands into his pajama pants.
"Do you want to talk about it?" Mummy's face held no judgment as he patted his bed and Scorpius shrugged.
"It was just a normal day, nothing important." He said but still curled under the covers, Mummy's magic warm as it wrapped around him, making him feel safe.
Mother's magic had never reached out to them this way.
"Did I ever tell you about my Aunt Petunia?" He shook his head, having just learned Gran had a Muggle sister.
"She was a wretched woman." He began and Scorpius blinked in shock as he listened closely.
"I was left on her doorstep and she never let me forget it. She was very big on appearances. She would spend hours getting ready, curling her hair just so and making sure nothing was out of place. I find it funny she was so particular about it when she made me wear her son's old clothes." Mummy snorted and Scorpius didn't understand what was funny. Why couldn't Mummy have his own clothes?
"She wasn't a very nice woman and I would wish every birthday that she would disappear." He confided and Scorpius felt his eyes water.
"Me too. Mother didn't like me. Why didn't he like me? I tried to be good." Mummy hugged him tightly, something Mother wouldn't have done.
"Some people are just so miserable, they want to make everyone around them feel bad. It wasn't your fault." Scorpius started crying, a weight he didn't know he had been carrying disappearing. He knew it wasn't his fault but it felt like it was. Mother had liked other people so maybe there was something wrong with him, that made his Mother feel like he wasn't good enough to love but Mummy thought he was. He didn't care if Scorpius acted out or fought, he let him express himself and didn't see him as just an extension of himself.
"Have you talked to Father about this?" Mummy looked worried as he used his sleeve to dry his tears, not worried about snot getting on his clothes.
"I don't know." He mumbled, unsure how to answer. Father had made it clear that the things Mother had said wasn't right but he never knew how to bring it up. Atticus needed his attention more and Scorpius was the oldest, he needed to be strong.
"I won't make you but I bet he would like to know how much you've been keeping to yourself." Mummy wasn't going to make him do anything he didn't want to do and Scorpius relaxed fully.
"Thank you, Mummy."
"You can always come find me if you're feeling upset." He promised and Scorpius yawned, his eyes growing heavy as Mummy started talking softly, telling how proud he was of him and that he always would be.