Chapter 3

Daella broke her fast in her own chambers the morning of the tourney, before she was bathed and dressed for the day. She wore the black dress with blood red roses on the sleeves, neckline, and hem to match the necklace she was gifted by her uncle Daemon the day before. Her maids had bathed her in rose oils, her preferred scent, but it seemed to highlight her outfit and necklace more. She was blissfully unaware of the small council meeting that was going on at that moment, and thankfully she didn't witness her uncle prancing around the castle drenched in blood.

Daella then went to visit her mother as she promised, but the visit didn't last long as her mother began her labors. She was swiftly sent away, and was found by her father. She was crying and confused, her mother was in pain, and she didn't know how to help. "I told him to be nice to Muna, why isn't he being nice?" She cried to her father, desperate to understand what was happening to her mother.

Her father dried her tears and said, "This is what happens when a babe is born. It is painful, but the pain will pass and your Muna will be better before you know it." He gently tried to explain, wanting to put his daughter's mind to ease. "He is still nice, I promise you. This is just how he comes into the world," his answer seemed to placate her for now, but he could tell she was still worried.

He accompanied her to the tourney, her handmaiden, Jocelyn, was carrying the favor she worked on for hours during her sewing lessons. Her sworn sword along with Ser Harrold escorted the royals to the royal box. Daella had a seat reserved for her next to her father, but he would hold her in his lap for the tourney anyway, the seat was just a courtesy. They took their seats as their sworn swords stood guard behind them.

"Be welcome! I know many of you have traveled long leagues to be at these games. But I promise, you will not be disappointed," King Viserys began his opening speech as Rhaenyra tried to sneak to her seat, but he spotted her and sent her a subtle glare in warning for being late. "When I look at the fine knights in these lists, I see a group without equal in our histories. And this great day has been made more auspicious by the news that I am happy to share: Queen Aemma has begun her labors!" The crowd breaks out into cheers, excited to soon welcome another royal family member, hopefully a son. "May the luck of the Seven shine upon all combatants!" King Viserys finished his speech and took his seat, pulling Daella into his lap as he did.

The tourney went off without a hitch, until an obnoxious Boremund Baratheon approached the balcony and loudly said, "Princess Rhaenys Targaryen! I would humbly ask for the favor of "The Queen Who Never Was." Daella turned her nose up at the nickname the people dubbed her with, she hated when people called Rhaenys that. She thought it was rude and offensive, she didn't know where it came from but she could tell it wasn't nice because of the tight smile Rhaenys gave him.

Otto leans towards Viserys and whispers, "you could have Baratheon's tongue for that." He didn't want to risk Daella hearing him given the close proximity to her, but he still felt the need to say it.

"Tongues will not change the succession. Let them wag," Viserys answered back, looking towards Daella who was thankfully still happily engrossed in the tourney. Watching as Boremund was unseated by a Criston Cole, she had heard Ser Harrold tell Rhaenyra who he was after she asked. He was apparently from the Stormlands, but not a noble, his father was the steward of Lord Dondarrion.

Daella was excited by the sight of a Targaryen flag being placed, she knew her uncle would be the only one participating under her house's flag. She loved to watch her uncle in his full glory, she knew his dragon was closer to the surface, he thrived in times of war. He looked closer to god then men, in his full suit of armor he truly looked like a god. She thought he looked magnificent, riding pridefully out onto the field, his hemet had dragon wings coming off the sides, he looked ready to conquer the world. She saw a true warrior in that moment, a god of war, completely in his element.