Chapter 4

Daella was awoken by her handmaiden, who got her ready for the day. Daella was excused from her lessons for the rest of the week due to the loss of her mother, not that it mattered, she spent most of her time when not in lessons in the library. She enjoyed reading in her own private garden, her father had it built for her after she received flowers for her every birthday. She was unaware about the small council meeting that was held late last night about the King naming an heir.

Everyone knew he wanted to name Daella, but her claim was weakened because she is the second born daughter of the King and because she was only four years old. Otto knew that she would be a great contender for the crown, afterall he was teaching her all she needed to know when it came to politics. Otto also knew many houses would willingly bow to Daella, House Hightower included, after hearing all about Daella. Many Lords and Ladies of the Realm knew of Daella's academic achievements because the King never misses an opportunity to boast about her.

"Your father has requested to see you this morning to break your fast with him," Jocelyn informs the young Princess. Daella gets ready to begin the day with her father, her heart still aching from her mothers absence, but her father helps her to feel better, even if it's just a little bit. Her handmaiden led Daella through the castle and up to her fathers chamber doors, where Daella waited for the guard to announce her.

"Kepa!" Daella exclaims running to her father, him dropping to his knees to embrace her in a warm hug. He clutches her tightly to his chest with tears in his eyes, and strokes her braided hair. He feels guilty about the decisions he made, and heartbroken for himself. He realized how much harder Daella's life is going to be without a mother, there are some things you just need a mother for.

"Good morrow, my sweet," her father said, "I hope you are well rested, and hungry. I ordered both of our favorites to break our fast." It was true, there was a feast on the table between the two as they talked about their plans for the day. Her father elected not to tell her about the small council meeting he had late last night, where they wanted him to pressure him to name an heir. He also didn't tell her about his visitor last night, the Lady Alicent Hightower. The Hand didn't want Rhaenyra to be the heir. Otto figured if his daughter became the new queen and gave birth to a son then Daella would marry him and they would rule together. Viserys hadn't really wanted to name Rhaenyra either.

A sudden knock sounded at the door as a guard announced Otto. "Your Grace, I'm sorry to interrupt, but I feel this cannot wait." He gives Daella a glance, letting Viserys know that it wasn't something the young Princess should hear. The King stands to go with him, but turns back to Daella.

"My sweet, why don't you take Ser Harrold and go visit your dragons. I'm sure you've missed them, as I'm sure they have missed you as well." That was all he had to say for Daella to rush out with Ser Harrold and her own sworn knight following behind. The King wasn't sure what this was about, but he knew his daughter loved spending time with her dragons.

The young Princess was escorted to her wheelhouse and began the quick journey to the dragon pits. The small folk once again waved and bowed as she passed, cheering as she waved at them. They weren't used to seeing the young Princess so early, and they didn't expect to given she just lost her mother. They assumed the King sent her, but most didn't know why.

Her dragons were happy to see her after she waited patiently for them to be brought out to her. She spent several hours playing with them until she saw Daemon angrily walking to a dragon keeper, telling them to bring out Caraxes. Daemons dragon was red and often called the Blood Wyrm for its fierce temperament and long neck.

"Niece, it's nice to see you with your dragons this morning," Daemon says in High Valyrian. His mind turned with ideas to piss off his brother for sending him away, and here was the King's favorite daughter in his grasp. Of course he would never hurt her, but he was sure he could take her on a dragon ride and still get a rise out of his brother. "Would you like to take a dragon ride with me?" He knew she had never ridden one before, she was too young to ride her own, and no one else would take her. Daemon wanted to, but his brother would never let him, claiming she was too young.