Chapter 11

When Daella walked into the Throne Room she saw her father and Alicent already there waiting at the foot of the throne, her father with Blackfyre strapped to his waist and his crown atop his head. Otto stood on the other side of the king slightly behind him, he smiled at Daella. Rhaenyra stood slightly to the side facing him, but not looking at him directly, she didn't bother looking back at Daella as she walked to her father. It was then she noticed Daemon was standing like Rhaenyra, but with a lot of space between them, space that Daella took up. She knew what was coming, but she didn't want to give away that she was eavesdropping on his private conversation with Otto.

"Now, there are some things I need to say, and there will be no interruptions until I am finished. Do you all understand?" Viserys started. He waited until he heard a chorus of 'yes' from his family before he continued. "Daemon, my brother, you are the only sibling I have and I hate this rift between us that seems to grow larger at every turn. I hope to remedy this by freeing you of your marriage. I have spoken to Lady Rhea Royce, and she has agreed to the annulment of your marriage. I grant you freedom to marry whomever you wish, within reason. You are a Prince of the realm and you must marry into a good house, but I wish for you to be happy."

Daemon looked close to tears, he felt the burden of his unhappy marriage weighing him down for years, and now he was finally free of it. "Thank you, brother. This means more than I can put into words." The two brothers shared a loving embrace before Daemon stood back to let his brother continue. Rhaenyra looked happy at the news, she hoped now that he was free of his marriage, he would marry her.

"Rhaenyra, you have proven to me that I have made a mistake. The Lords of the Seven Kingdoms tried to tell me at your crowning ceremony, I didn't listen then, but I am listening now. You are not fit to be my heir," Viserys said, firmly raising a hand to silence her when she went to speak. "You will no longer be my heir, I have decided to name a new heir. You will marry a man of my choosing, and you will do so without quarrel, by order of your King. Do you understand?" Viserys asks firmly, stating his intentions firmly and leaving no room for arguments.

Sadly, Rhaenyra was always ready for an argument. "I will marry and do my duty, if you do yours first."

"And what, pray tell, might that be? What duty of mine own have I not done?" Viserys asks, already done with this senseless argument.

"Your Hand. The one who lusts for his blood on the throne, the one who sent his daughter to seduce a lonely old man who was grieving the loss of his greatest love." Rhaenyra spat out, glaring at Otto as she spoke.

"I'll have you know that Otto didn't advise me to name Aegon my heir, he suggested him, but he insisted upon someone else." Viserys says, glaring at Rhaenyra. She had just insulted him, his wife, and his dearest friend. Viserys was no fool, he knew Alicent was a convenient, calculated distraction, but he chose her because he fell in love with Alicent as she did him. It was true, Alicent did dearly love the King, and she was very happy with her life now.

"That matters not, Alicent was still sent to you as a fail safe incase so I wouldn't inherit the throne after you." Rhaenyra says, still insulting Alicent and Otto.

"I am not going to dismiss Otto just because you feel your position in court is threatened. A position you will no longer inherit, so that renders your argument moot." Viserys says. He didn't feel the need to explain his love for his wife to his daughter, he didn't need to explain himself to anyone. "SILENCE!" He yells when Rhaenyra goes to argue more. She huffs and stomps her foot before crossing her arm silently seething.

"Daella, I am naming you my heir. The letters for your crowning ceremony will be sent out today and the ceremony will be held next moon." Viserys says. "When the time comes, a tour will be arranged for you to find a suitable husband. I will let you make your own match as long as he hails from a good house. I wish for your happiness, and will happily consent to you marrying whomever you wish that meets my standards."