The Quiddich Arena

"Culver." Jackson Watts said firmly as she ran up. "You're late."

Riley Culver, dressed in her quidditch practice uniform of a team tshirt and denim pants, looked down at her wristwatch. "No I'm not. I've still got 3 minutes."

"So you're right on time, I suppose?"

"Yes, I would say so." Riley said curtly. Jackson smiled.

"Well, this is your second year on the quidditch team. So you should know the rule by now-" he smirked at her, taking her broomstick from her hand. "Early is on time, and on time is late." He inspected her broomstick carefully, as he had already done to the rest of the team. "Atleast your broomstick is impeccable. You got the care kit that I suggested?"

Riley sighed as he handed her broomstick back. "Yes, I did. I was up half the night last night getting ready for practice today."

Jackson scanned her, and she scanned him back. He was a 5th year, tall and strong, making him a perfect beater for the hufflepuff team. He had sharp green and eyes and soft, curly brown hair.

"How do you expect to see the snitch with your hair in your eyes?" Elroy Lock, the other beater, asked her. She blushed.

"Oh, I forgot about that..."

"You're not a chaser anymore, culver, the snitch is so tiny, you've really-" as Jackson Watts began to lecture her on her new, important role, Riley began to twist her bangs over her forehead.

"Wow, you've got a face under there?" Charles Reneer, a 6th year prefect and chaser, snickered.

It was true, this was the first time that anyone had seen Riley without her hair in her eyes beyond the speed of the wind whipping it away during a match. It was suddenly clear to her that everyone on the team was staring with blank expressions and a few blushed cheeks. Jackson had stopped talking.

"Charles, will you transfigure me a barrette?" Riley asked him, holding the end of her twisted bangs to the side of her head. He, seeming to be the only person with a brain behind their eyes in that moment, pulled a match and his wand out of his pocket. With a flick of the wrist, he was holding a basic, clear plastic Barrett. Riley took it and with a snap, her hair was secured.

"Well?" Riley said impatiently. "Are we going to play quidditch, or are you just going to stand there staring? You've all seen my face before, surely, with the wind last year."

The other 6 boys snapped back to reality.

4 of them, she knew from last year. Jackson Watts, team captain and beater, he was a bit of a hard-ass but never unfair.

Elroy Lock, the other beater, was also a fifth year and a prefect. He was a little more fun. Like Jackson, he was tall and broad- making him the perfect beater. He had a handsome, suntanned face, with soft blue eyes and thick blond hair that never seemed to be brushed.

Charles Reneer, a 6th year chaser. He was the oldest on the team and seemed generally unbothered by everything. He had dark olive skin, dark hair and eyes, and the most perfect smile most people had ever seen. He treated Riley like a little sister, which she welcomed. All of the boys did, but it felt more caring from Charles.

David Smith, 4th year and the Hufflepuff teams new Keeper. He looked a little gaunt, gangly arms and legs that never seemed to grow visible muscles on them no matter how strong he actually was. A long pointy face covered in freckles, sort of small brown eyes and dark hair.

Last year, when the seeker and keeper graduated, two spots opened up. Riley Culver took the spot of the seeker, and David smith took that of the Keeper. They held tryouts at the end of last term for two new Chasers.

Mason Abbot, a 3rd year, stood still blushing before her. They had been through 2 years of classes together and he could say, without a doubt, that he had never seen her face. He was a new chaser, very eager and very nervous. It showed in his face. Round and rather pink all the time, with big watery blue eyes and thick, pin straight blond hair.

Daniel Fayne, a second year, was rather confused by the whole ruckus. He hadn't been as obsessed with quidditch in his first year, not as obsessed as the others. He found Riley pretty, sure, but thought it silly to be fawning over her pulling her bangs back. Like Riley, he was average. Brown hair, brown eyes, average size.

Once Riley was properly flustered, everyone rose on their broomsticks and practice began.