Hufflepuff vs Gryffindor, Part 1

"Next up!" Daniel Turrett yelled from behind the inspection table. He had been working games as part of his ongoing punishment for his attack on Riley a month ago.

Riley stepped up, placing her broom gently on the table cloth. After he ran the gold bar over it, Riley reached for it. She was stopped from taking it back by Daniel's hand on the handle, gripping it tightly. "You better win."

"What?" She asked softly. Her cheeks were starting to flush as his gaze held hers, cold and unyielding.

"I said, you better win." His voice was firm and icy. "I lost to you. If you lose to Potter, that means I would lose to Potter. It would be insulting."

Somewhere in his black eyes were flecks of warm gold, a softness and vulnerability he was showing to Riley and Riley only. "You're a skilled seeker." He finished, letting go of her broom finally. "Next up!"

The interaction with Daniel Turrett left a chill in Riley that she couldn't shake off.

"Witches and Wizards, the game you've been waiting for is about to begin!" Bennett Baker, the Ravenclaw announcer, spoke into the microphone wand. "Neither of these teams have lost a game yet! Let's see how this goes, folks!"

As Bennett made his announcements, the teams entered from either side of the pitch. Jackson touched down on the ground, on the left side of Madam Hooch. Moments later, Elijah Nicholson touched down on her right side.

"Team captains, shake hands." Madam Hooch said firmly.

"Good clean game, right, Watts?" Elijah said with a smile as he extended his hand.

"Good clean game, Nicholson." Jackson answered. "We'll try not to embarrass you too bad in front of your girlfriend."

They both laughed. They weren't the best of friends, but being in the same year and classes, the rivalry was healthy.

Once everyone took their places, Madam Hooch released the balls and the game began.

"We are neck and neck, with a 40-40 tie and no sign of the snitch!" Bennett announced.

Riley was at a comfortable 50 yards, circling and watching.

"Haven't seen it yet, Culver?" James potter taunted as he caught up with her.

Riley scoffed and passed him, determined not to give him the time of day.

"Come on, you could at least talk to me while we are just up here." His cheeky smile was audible in his voice. "Tell me your favorite color, your favorite class, your favorite book perhaps?"

Riley didn't respond. She bit the inside of her cheek.

"Hufflepuff scores twice in one go! The Hufflepuff chasers have it down to a science, that no one can interrupt! The score is now 60-40 to Hufflepuff- that's a lie, it's now 70-40 to Hufflepuff! They just don't quit!"

"Here I thought you were the secret weapon..." James said with a coy tone.

"Newell is in possession! Smith is an impassable wall, look at him blocking that! A beautiful bludger knocks the quaffle straight out of Newell's hands, and into the possession of Reneer! They're making their way back down the pitch and- oh my!"

Riley had an idea. She didn't know how it would go, but he seemed to be following her blindly - which is exactly what she wanted him to do.

She darted to the ground at Mach speed and, 3 yards up, pulled back and soared up.