Before the Game

The next two weeks saw lots of rain, meaning very muddy quidditch practices and not much chance for Riley to go see Severus out by the oak tree. There hadn't been a school trip to hogsmead either, and Riley was getting rather antsy to get hands on new books.

Friday night, the quidditch team was sat around the fire in the common room in their pajamas, drinking tea and going over game plans.

"Riley?" Jackson pulled her from her thoughts. She had been staring, rather blankly, into the fire for some time.

"Huh?" Her head snapped back up. "Sorry, mind wandered for a second."

"I said I'm worried about you, Riley. The slytherin seeker is a 5th year-"

"And why would that make you worry? I outran 7th year chasers last year!"

"Right," Charles butted in. "And that's why we made you seeker. But it's different, Riley..." he scooted in closer, his voice soft. "All the chasers are after is the quaffle. Thats a 3 against 3, and you had me and David and to clear the path anytime you had the ball. Now, you're gonna be off on your own. We are gonna do our best to help you, but it's gonna be one on one for that snitch."

The color in Riley's face began to fade as he spoke. Charles has never in his life been soft spoken, he must have been truly worried.

"Daniel Turrett is twice your size, Riley." Jackson said flatly. "And he fights dirty. I want you to avoid him as much as possible." Riley nodded, looking up at him. "Lock and I are going to do our best to keep watch. But if he gets too rough, don't hesitate to call a timeout. I'd rather get penalized for going over our time than have you get knocked off your broom."

The whole team seemed to nod in agreement. Riley was conflicted by feeling cared for, and patronized.

"Hey, McGonagall is gonna be the ref. She's fair and she knows Slytherins tricks." Elroy reached over and patted Riley's back. "We are gonna do whatever it takes. We just need you to be aware of turrett and not just the snitch."

"But be aware of the snitch too!" Jackson interjected. "Always be aware of the snitch!"

"What if i don't get it?" Riley said, mostly to herself.

The team laughed. Charles wrapped his arm around Riley and she leaned into him. "You're gonna do great kid. You caught that snitch atleast 5 times every practice. That's in the rain and the shine. Just don't get killed." He ruffled her hair.

Riley didn't have any siblings, but this is what she imagined having big brothers was like. She felt protected.

"Alright, you buggers. Get to bed. Gonna have one short practice before breakfast in the morning!"

Riley laid awake for some time. Hard rain pelted her window, her roommates all snored louder than the thunder. She went play by play on how tomorrow could go.

Either she would win, or she'd be in the hospital wing for a week.

Charles will swing to the right with the ball, the beaters will make a path for him then- no, no, that won't work, the beaters have got to stay glued to the bludgers.

Mason, maybe? Yes, Charles is big enough to keep the slytherin off him. However, Mason is new, will he make the shot? And on the other side of him, Daniel is so small, what good will he do?

"Quit muttering and go to sleep, Culver!"

Riley was interrupted by a stuffed elephant to the face. It was Olivia Bones, one of her roommates. Riley smiled sheepishly and rolled over in bed.