White Bear

Riley was sat with her legs shaking in Professor Heaps class. It was Defense against the dark arts, arguably her worst subject.

"Are you okay?" Mason Abott asked as he slid in next to her.

Riley simply nodded.

She had heard from Severus, who had this class yesterday, that they were going to try casting a patronus.

Everyone was going to try to cast a patronus, in front of the class.

According to Severus, all Professor heaps was looking for was a whisp of white light.

The class was noisy and excited, all the Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws in the room were chatting about what they thought their patronus might be, what their parents patronus' were.

Rileys mothers patronus was a dolphin, her fathers patronus was vulture.

And Riley's... well, she'd be lucky to get away with a small whisp.

After Professor Heaps had gotten a handle on the class and explained what they were doing, they all lined up. Riley had put herself in the back of the line, hoping that time would run out before it was her turn.

She had potions next. She quite liked potions. Last week, she had mastered the antidote to common poisons and was greatly praised by Professor slughorn. This class they were starting antidotes to uncommon poisons, and Riley was excited to begin her studies in that.

But thinking about it wasn't enough to sooth her anxiety when her name was called.

"Clear your head, Miss Culver. It's quite alright." Professor Heaps said quietly. "I only need a whisp."

Riley's hands were shaking as she drew a deep breath. Everyone had gotten a whisp, some even got a full corporeal patronus. Mason had gotten a hedgehog, and Maria Baskets in ravenclaw produced a praying mantis.

"Think of the happiest times in your life, Miss Culver."

Riley cleared her head until it was blank. Then, she introduced her first time in diagon alley. The cheers of her mother when purple sparks flew from her wand in Olivanders. She thought of her first time on the quittach pitch. She thought of meeting Severus, of the thoughtful book he had given her. She thought of the sitting on her teams shoulders after she beat James Potter their last game.

"Expecto Patronum!"

It wasn't just a whisp that flew from her wand.

Her eyes were closed, and she finally opened them when everyone gasped and cheered.

Standing before her, running around the room was a white, translucent Kodiak bear. It made a circle, then came to rest on its hind legs in front of her.

Opening its mouth in a silent roar, it swiped its huge paws and dissolved. 

"Wonderful, Miss Culver! Absolutely wonderful!" Professor Heaps cheered with a clap on her shoulder. "A patronus represents someone's spirit, their soul! I've never seen one like that outside of Gryffindor, Miss Culver! Oh I'm so proud!"

"Is it true?" Elroy asked her as she sat down with the quittach team for lunch. "Mason told us you cast a corporeal patronus!"

"I did." Riley said quietly as she reached for a sandwich.

"Well, what animal have you got?" Charles asked with a smile. "Mine is a panda bear"

Mason dropped his fork as his ears turned red. "Yours is a bear, Charles?"

"Well, yeah... all my family had bears, it seems. Ri'?"

"Oh, mine is a bear too!" Riley's cheeks began to flush. "A Kodiak."

"A Kodiak? Those are huge!" Jackson's face lit up.

"Mason, what was yours?" Charles tried to quickly change the subject.

"A... a hedgehog... I guess mine is the smallest out of the lot of you."

"Oh, no it's not." Jackson shook his head as he picked up his third sandwich from the tray in the center.

"Yeah, me and Jackson both have shrews!" Elroy grinned brightly.

"I thought you'd have a hare, Riley... or a dragon fly. Never a bear!"

Daniel Fayne looked confused. "Are all of these words supposed to mean something?"

Charles laughed and clapped him on the back. "Do you know what a patronus is?"

"It's something used against dementors, right?"

"Yes, dementors and pretty much all dark forces. It's essentially a condensed version of all of the light in a person. It's very advanced magic, most people only get wisps of light when they first learn to cast, but Riley and Mason cast what's called a Corporeal Patronus. A corporeal patronus is in the shape of an animal that represents you." Charles tone was light and cheery. "For example, Jackson and Elroy both cast Shrews. Those are associated with a strong heart, a respectful manner, generally likeable people."

"A hedgehog is typically someone that is very loving, and seeking a lot of affection, but they're also normally anxious. So that makes sense for Mason." Jackson said with a grin as masons ears turned red again.

"Pandas, like Charles, are normally good at whatever they do and very creative. Brown bears, like the huge Kodiak Riley cast, is someone who is incredibly strong, and hold a lot of patience. Quiet warriors. Dragonflies are people who are peaceful and full of joy. Brown hares are people who are shy and reserved, that's why Jackson said what he did." Elroy cast a smirk at Charles. "Soulmates Patronus' sometimes match."

"Are you excited for Potions, Riley?" Mason turned to ask her.

"I'm so excited! I was reading about uncommon poisons all night!" Riley shifted in her seat excitedly.

The subject was successful changed, but the thought stayed in the back of everyone's minds.